Moving from Mid Levels to Discovery Bay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving from Mid Levels to Discovery Bay

We live in the Mid Levels in Central, and have been here one year. We are thinking about moving out to Discovery Bay because we think it will be a lot better out there with kids. We have 3 kids, all under 3 years old (3 years old next week, 20 months and 1 month, all girls). At the moment we live in a 3 bedroom apartment (small!) and I really miss the outdoor lifestyle and letting the kids run around outside (we are Australian).

Can anybody tell me if Discovery Bay will be better for the kids as opposed to here in the Mid Levels?

And is there a particular housing area in DB which is better for kids? I hear Headland Village is nice. Which area has the biggest houses with the biggest private gardens? And which club is the best for kids? Club Siena? Or other?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Talking Disco Bay

Hiya

I am just about to move to DB after a weeks long visit seeing all the areas in HK island etc. I felt
    DB was defo the best for kids - its relatively flat so you can walk with your buggy etc and the plaza
    is a lovely place to meet your friends for a coffee etc. Most things seem within walking distance
    and there is a bus which runs round the island
    aswell. Some houses come with a 'golf buggy'
    which seems pretty handy. I thought it was the
    best place and I have 2 kids one 5 and one 2.5

Dont know much about the clubs - saw round them and they seemed much the same - quite
    pricey for membership for all your family.

All the areas seemed pretty nice - think the rent is more expensive the nearer you are to the plaza
    which is the hub of DB

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

Just came back for spending Sunday in discovery bay, but it seemed to lack many facilities such as cheap barber for men and boys, no clothing store, or shoe store, and comparing prices with Wing On, the discovery bay was about double or $100 hk more than on the island. I am not sure it is suitable for long term living. I moved to Kennedy Town for temporary lease. Hope you find what you want.

DB is primarily residential. People get their clothes and shoes elsewhere, since most people work on Hong Kong Island or at the airport. I would love to live there myself.

Hi jayinhongkong, looks like you been living here long time, so why don't you move to DB? Looks like they got a lot of emtpy flats for rent or sell. But I will still give it thought and maybe move there after my six moth lease expieres.

tung chung is where many head to buy clothes etc. it is 20 minutes by bus and has a decent mall filled with outlet shops and a cinema.

db is a wonderful place to live with kids. we were there for over 6 years and loved it. we moved to sai kung last year and miss db terribly. (we just couldn't afford the rents there any longer)

thanks carang for the shopping tips. Last Sunday I talked with 3 agencies and found rentals much cheaper than on Hong Kong Island, and houses for sale for less than 2 million. I like the atmosphere but was concerned about the limited shops. And, a trip to Central only took 25 minutes and the IFC Mall is loaded with great shops. Thanks.

Last edited by Rebelrouser; 10-07-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Haysee, I almost forgot to lend my impression of DB. From what I saw, and I was over there again this afternoon, was a great place for family and kids. The environment is unique for Asia, and like living in Europe or a few other western countries. The housing style and tree lines streets reminded me and my wife of California in the USA, and we felt like we were not even in China. I am sure we will go there after December when our lease ends. Good luck with your move.

My husband has been offered a job in HK and we are doing a bit of research regarding our options. From a quick glance and these forums Discovery Bay sounds best for us (us, 6yo and 4 yo). My husband is an electrical engineer whose job involves all sorts of hours would being off the main island make life difficult for him? Any airport noise ? We are considering an international school in causeway bay so again is living in DB making life difficult for myself. We would want a min 3 bedroom place what are our options (houses / apartments) what sort of cost pm. Sorry I have researched all over the place and really need the perspective of those who live there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast