Furniture: Ship from India vs Buy in Hong Kong.

Furniture: Ship from India vs Buy in Hong Kong.

We're a couple moving from India to Hong Kong, the plan is to live in Hong Kong for at least 2 years, maybe more depending on work.

Our home in India is a 3 bedroom duplex and we've acquired a lot of furniture over the years. Obviously, we understand that we're not going to be able to fit all out furniture in a 2-bedroom apartment that we're looking to rent in HK.

My employer will cover shipping our household goods if needed, but our dilemma is with options as follows:

1. Ship all our wooden furniture (queen bed, 2 chests of draws, dining table, a leather couch, tv cabinet etc) to Hong Kong and hope that it fits in our apartment. My employer covers the shipping cost.

2. Don't ship anything to HK, put everything in long-term storage in India (we pay out-of-pocket for storage, employer doesn't cover this). Buy basic furniture in HK (IKEA?) our estimate is about 20K-30K HKD for a bed, couch, tv cabinet, dining table, and some miscellaneous items. This is an expensive option given we're probably going to have to eat up the upfront housing deposit of 3-month rent for a 20-25K rental apartment. That's a lot of money to be spending upfront given the India-HK exchange rate, if you were to do the math

Looking for advice here from folks that may have gone through similar decision process.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any comments.

Ship the minimal and buy the rest in HK. HK apartments are not the largest as you know and room dimensions can be a nightmare. Rather than use IKEA we went across the border to Shenzhen to the furniture malls at Bo'an road North and had our needs custom made. It was much cheaper and they come and install the stuff too. Or then trawl the classifieds and buy what departing expats are selling.

Option 3 : sell all the stuff in India and dont bother paying for storage.

"the plan is to live in Hong Kong for at least 2 years, maybe more depending on work." -- this is a very common theme and large number of people end up staying for "more"...Sell the stuff, you can always buy new/used if/when you return back.

@pandancake yes the apartments I've been looking at are only a third the size of the house we live in so I doubt if we'll be able to fit the furniture, so it does make sense to buy in HK (or Shenzhen, thanks for that recommendation!). Like I said earlier, I'm staring at a significant upfront cost with the 3-month-rent deposit (given our rent will be around 20-25k) so spending even 20-30k on basic furniture is an overhead.

@HowardCoombs I'd prefer not to sell anything in India. All our stuff is custom made not too long ago and would cost twice as much to make now (wooden furniture and labor prices in India are only going up!). We did the math, and the cost of storing the furniture for as long as 2 years is far less compared to what we will have to shell out if we were to make all of this again. Also, they have sentimental value too so we'd rather not sell

Bed frame you can get for less than 2000 HK$. Your most expensive purchase is going to be the mattress, if you can bring your mattress over then you will save a lot of money.

Bed, couch, tv cabinet, dining table, and some miscellaneous items. 10-15K should be able to do.

I would make sure you have a decent storage unit sorted, something climate controlled so humidity wont wreck your furniture.

Rent

Why not rent the your home while you are overseas?
    Is it a rental?

Quote Originally Posted by blryoda:
    We're a couple moving from India to Hong Kong, the plan is to live in Hong Kong for at least 2 years, maybe more depending on work.

Our home in India is a 3 bedroom duplex and we've acquired a lot of furniture over the years. Obviously, we understand that we're not going to be able to fit all out furniture in a 2-bedroom apartment that we're looking to rent in HK.

My employer will cover shipping our household goods if needed, but our dilemma is with options as follows:

1. Ship all our wooden furniture (queen bed, 2 chests of draws, dining table, a leather couch, tv cabinet etc) to Hong Kong and hope that it fits in our apartment. My employer covers the shipping cost.

2. Don't ship anything to HK, put everything in long-term storage in India (we pay out-of-pocket for storage, employer doesn't cover this). Buy basic furniture in HK (IKEA?) our estimate is about 20K-30K HKD for a bed, couch, tv cabinet, dining table, and some miscellaneous items. This is an expensive option given we're probably going to have to eat up the upfront housing deposit of 3-month rent for a 20-25K rental apartment. That's a lot of money to be spending upfront given the India-HK exchange rate, if you were to do the math

Looking for advice here from folks that may have gone through similar decision process.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any comments.

@wtbhotia: thanks, mattress won't fit. our current bed is a king size bed, and we're probably only going to fit a queen size or double bed in the apt in HK.

@Trance Omega: yes, a good storage option is sorted in India.

@Oldtimer: yes, our current house in India is a rental.