Like Tree4Likes

Need tips to evaluate job opportunity

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need tips to evaluate job opportunity

Hy guys,
    I just started discussing salary requirements with a HK based company and would need some advice.

The first big factor I need to understand is the monthly rent for an apartment for me, my wife and God willing a little one in the next future.
    I know there are many different options and the decision is very subjective, but I have to start from something...

Let's say we would like to live in a nice place; no big luxury needed, but still a good looking place where I can invite friends. Let's say 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms in an area where my wife can feel comfortable all day, as she will not be working immediately. I don't care how I will commute to work, I'm flexible on that.

Second question: which is the second most expensive cost of living factor to consider, compared to wester standards? I read that western restaurants can be very expensive and also imported food/drink products are. Is this true?

I have to come up with a reasonable estimation on how much we will need to live a decent life and spare a few bucks for the future.

Thaaaanksss!!

Apartments in good areas will rent for $25-30K
    Food : If you eat at home maximum cost $4K per month for 2
    Utilities: $2K Maximum
    Transport: $1K
    Drinking & eating out? who knows? It depends on how many times in a month, what kind of food, and number of drinks.

Where is your office located? This would help in recommending area to live.

Ask for a shed-load, take a small lock-ups worth, job done.

Seriously though if you want to live the same lifestyle you live in a Western country (although this varies by country), it will cost you a lot more than it does at home. If you aren't that adaptable, then you probably need 60 - 80 k minimum, without savings.

Chap who has just moved with my husband's company is earning 90k/month, and complaining that he can't save anything with $23k rent, although he does have 2 kids in school so that adds 14k per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Apartments in good areas will rent for $25-30K
    Food : If you eat at home maximum cost $4K per month for 2
    Utilities: $2K Maximum
    Transport: $1K
    Drinking & eating out? who knows? It depends on how many times in a month, what kind of food, and number of drinks.
    Thanks this helps.
    I'm surprised for the $25-30K for the apartment, from the online offers in the area of Mid Levels, 2 bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms I estimated something closer to $40k...

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    Where is your office located? This would help in recommending area to live.
    In the city center, along Connaught Road Central, not far from the central station.
    Though it's not yet my office... ;-) I don't want to "put the cart before the horse"!
    Just discussing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Ask for a shed-load, take a small lock-ups worth, job done.

Seriously though if you want to live the same lifestyle you live in a Western country (although this varies by country), it will cost you a lot more than it does at home. If you aren't that adaptable, then you probably need 60 - 80 k minimum, without savings.

Chap who has just moved with my husband's company is earning 90k/month, and complaining that he can't save anything with $23k rent, although he does have 2 kids in school so that adds 14k per month.
    The shed-load/lock-up plan sounds good
    Yeah I also thought that if I want to move my life there but keep the same level we have here we will need around $85k or more.
    Of course you can do with much less, but there would be no point in moving there than.
    I mean, I am excited about the company, the job and the city but it would be stupid to worsen our financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dolama:
    Thanks this helps.
    I'm surprised for the $25-30K for the apartment, from the online offers in the area of Mid Levels, 2 bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms I estimated something closer to $40k...
    I would have thought around 40k in Midlevels also, for an okish place with ensuite, and slightly more room than it takes to swing a dwarf hamster, if you want to have friends round. We were recently looking around as our lease was up, and were a bit shocked at how much rents seem to have gone up by.

Ended up settling for a 24% rent increase on the same place - landlord had wanted 40%. although we were on a very good deal before so I guess a bit over the average was to be expected.

Wow, the guy asked for a 40% increase in one shot??!
    Anyway, we might consider moving outside HK island to get a bigger place, but wife will not work (at list not immediately) so I don't want to leave her in a depressing place. You know what I mean.

And I have no clue about connections to go to work...

I would have thought more than 40k for a decent place in Mid-Levels too. People who have lived here for a while adjust their expectations about what is "decent". If you are coming for the first time, you'll probably pay more for space in the first place and then adjust down as you get used to HK standards!
    Your wife should not be sitting at home - one of the number 1 benefits of HK is that there is a huge amount to do - plenty of clubs or social circles or meetups - nobody needs to sit at home. What would she DO at home anyway? TV is crap (unless you download it illegally); kitchens are generally too small of serious cooking (often without ovens) and flats are so small they don't take much cleaning!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast