Like Tree18Likes

Living on a budget HELP

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I mean the city is a much cooler place to be, I also think it's not as hot here as Thailand

You could survive on that budget, but is it worth it? You can probably make at least twice as much in the UK, Regardless of how cool you think HK is. Why come over and try to survive on a minimum wage?

Quote Originally Posted by peter1947:
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm from England but was born in HK so have a right of abode to be in HK, unlike Grunt, who I surmise has probably outstayed his welcome. I will be spending 6 months in HK, and yes my work is online. My visa situation has absolutely nothing to do with Grunt, and he is the type of expat I will be diligently avoiding.
    http://www.hkproperty.com/hkhouse-p0...n01000-x03000/

You can do it, but it can't be much fun on such a tight budget.

You have some ex-pats coming on here (before they get chased off) wondering if they can survive on 200k a month!!

flymantang likes this.

I'm from England but was born in HK so have a right of abode to be in HK
    Lest anyone else reading this be misled, being born in Hong Kong does not, per se, give you the right of abode here.
    bibbju, Fiona in HKG and peter1947 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    why not secure a flat share in NT for HK$2000, with twice the size of room and cost of living is much cheaper here, or are u into the nightlife here in hk, eh, lkf
    thats kinda hard to find isnt it?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm from England but was born in HK so have a right of abode to be in HK, unlike Grunt, who I surmise has probably outstayed his welcome. I will be spending 6 months in HK, and yes my work is online. My visa situation has absolutely nothing to do with Grunt, and he is the type of expat I will be diligently avoiding.
    Others to avoid: the ones who a proud to be here working illegally (hey everyone does it); the ones who are proud not to pay their FDHs their full legal wage (hey everyone does it); the ones who do a runner to the airport to get out of paying tax/credit cards (hey everyone does it); the ones who try to wrangle an HKPR card to just get cheap healthcare and/or $6,000 from the government (hey everyone does it); et al.

Quote Originally Posted by flymantang:
    thats kinda hard to find isnt it?
    yes, if you look in expat sites and on hk island ( different type of market)

no, if you get a friend who can read Chinese and knows NT well,

http://www.28hse.com/utf8/searchprop...9%B3%E7%A7%9F/
    peter1947 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Lol agreed.

There's always Thailand for those whining about the cost of beers in soho but choose to live there too

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Lest anyone else reading this be misled, being born in Hong Kong does not, per se, give you the right of abode here.
    Indeed. My sister, born in Hong Kong and absent for over 30 years apart from very short visits in 2005, 2007 and 2008, applied for that recently but was instead given a Right to Land. I was pretty surprised by that!

Re living on a budget of 10k a month, not impossible but it would be quite a frugal existence. Are you living on that kind of budget elsewhere at the moment?