Like Tree77Likes

Moving to Hong Kong for boyfriend's work

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I came here aged 23, fresh grad with no experience, went to Beijing and got a celta in august, got a visa as a teacher in September, working for a language centre at first.

So yes, if you are willing to teach it should be easy enough. I applied for my visa from within HK and this was also fine. I just had to take a trip to Macau to activate it.

BTW I wish people would stop suggesting people get married for a visa!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 26-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    INXS, Fiona in HKG and EmilyLee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    P.S-Are there really that many panty-flashing tarts in HK? Better not tell my wife about this, hahaha.
    If you have long arms and a small camera they are everywhere!

After all, there can be alot of "temptations" for men in HK. So you've been warned.
    Yellow / Brown fever can be caught very easily if the immune system is not well set up
    Watercooler and bibbju like this.

You could also apply for a spot to study at university here. Don't know if the field you studied in didn't interest you or it was just tough finding a job in that field.
    I know several 'spouses' who came her and worked on there doctorate. A couple even got paid quite well for it.

Hi all,

I am EmilyLee's other half.

Thanks for those for the helpful and constructive advice - especially toMat, who is providing exactly the right 'glass half full' advice that is useful- really appreciate all the helpful comments considering its a daunting taskfor me, and even more so for Em.

Re: the digression, I won’t be 'straying' have never done, never will, neverintend to.... If Em and I were older then I would marry her anyways so talkingabout this does nothing for either of our confidences - hopefully we can closethis now.

Can anyone help me with OP & WC?

Kimwy66 & Megatronic - Em did a very technical Environmental Degree(thesis in Geoengineering) rather than fluffy tree hugging etc.... She has beentrying to find a role in the UK that could apply this knowledge but there arenot many opportunities - thanks for the heads up re: enviro/engineering consultancies,we'll deffo look into this and the LinkednIn idea is great!

Elegiaque & Watercooler - luckily for me Em doesn’t want me to fund herlife, fortunately she’s quite independent. I could support her if I wanted to,but it would be tight, but more to the point she doesn't want to come to HK andthen just mope about while I am at work, that would be depressing -constructive comments please

Mat - thanks for the positive comments. Re: real estate that is anothergreat idea that we'll look into and perhaps try to use the same LinkedInapproach to see what about.... Does anyone know of local Estate Agencyqualifications / are there any? In the UK, you can get a good estate agencyrole without needing any professional qualifications, hence why Em doesn't haveany above Degree level.

Claire ex-ax - Working Holiday scheme we have looked into - not verythoroughly I admit, but will do in advance of any decision making. Do you, oranyone else, know if this is something Em could apply for and if she hassubsequent luck in finding sponsors, she could apply for a working permit to supersedethe working holiday visa? Do immigration often 'upgrade' visa's or is each visapretty much independent of each other?

Thanks again to those for positive help and thanks to everyone for providing'reality experience', but would prefer something constructive going forward.Sorry if this sounds pushy - it’s just I enjoyed reading this thread with thehelpful comments until it went off on the bf/gd dumping-gate saga.

Thanks again,

Tom

OP = original poster of this thread
    WC = watercooler, one of the posters here

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oneiller:
    Hi all,

I am EmilyLee's other half.

Thanks for those for the helpful and constructive advice - especially toMat, who is providing exactly the right 'glass half full' advice that is useful- really appreciate all the helpful comments considering its a daunting taskfor me, and even more so for Em.

Re: the digression, I won’t be 'straying' have never done, never will, neverintend to.... If Em and I were older then I would marry her anyways so talkingabout this does nothing for either of our confidences - hopefully we can closethis now.

Can anyone help me with OP & WC?

Kimwy66 & Megatronic - Em did a very technical Environmental Degree(thesis in Geoengineering) rather than fluffy tree hugging etc.... She has beentrying to find a role in the UK that could apply this knowledge but there arenot many opportunities - thanks for the heads up re: enviro/engineering consultancies,we'll deffo look into this and the LinkednIn idea is great!

Elegiaque & Watercooler - luckily for me Em doesn’t want me to fund herlife, fortunately she’s quite independent. I could support her if I wanted to,but it would be tight, but more to the point she doesn't want to come to HK andthen just mope about while I am at work, that would be depressing -constructive comments please

Mat - thanks for the positive comments. Re: real estate that is anothergreat idea that we'll look into and perhaps try to use the same LinkedInapproach to see what about.... Does anyone know of local Estate Agencyqualifications / are there any? In the UK, you can get a good estate agencyrole without needing any professional qualifications, hence why Em doesn't haveany above Degree level.

Claire ex-ax - Working Holiday scheme we have looked into - not verythoroughly I admit, but will do in advance of any decision making. Do you, oranyone else, know if this is something Em could apply for and if she hassubsequent luck in finding sponsors, she could apply for a working permit to supersedethe working holiday visa? Do immigration often 'upgrade' visa's or is each visapretty much independent of each other?

Thanks again to those for positive help and thanks to everyone for providing'reality experience', but would prefer something constructive going forward.Sorry if this sounds pushy - it’s just I enjoyed reading this thread with thehelpful comments until it went off on the bf/gd dumping-gate saga.

Thanks again,

Tom
    Well it is a legitimate question. Depending on what kind of person you are and what profession you are in, becoming an expat and moving half-away around the world can put alot of stress on one's relationship with their significant other, married or unmarried.

Hong Kong is after all known to some expats as the marriage graveyard: http://www.cathyfeign.com/documents/...gn-affairs.pdf

And you OP, is not even married. So if you value your relationship with OP, think on how you will work out your relationship in Hong Kong.

Well it is a legitimate question. Depending on what kind of person you are and what profession you are in, becoming an expat and moving half-away around the world can put alot of stress on one's relationship with their significant other, married or unmarried.

Hong Kong is after all known to some expats as the marriage graveyard: http://www.cathyfeign.com/documents/...gn-affairs.pdf

And you OP, is not even married. So if you value your relationship with OP, think on how you will work out your relationship in Hong Kong.

Ok, fair enough WC, though basing this on Cathy the psychotherapist doesn't shout out credibility - but fair enough, you within your right to say this.

Going forward, relationship advice, Em and I can handle this privately , would like to stick to job / visa advice and experiences please.

Thanks,

Hi oneiller.

We are pretty much in the same situation as you guys. My girlfriend (and i dont wanna get married) moved in HK for work and I also need to find a job who sponsoring the visa to stay. My work experience is also in real estate, and even though it is not the only area im looking for, it could be the easier to find a job. I will be in HK next week (so i guess it will be before you). You can try to check my thread, there are maybe some advices people gave me you could use.. We can also meet when you are there, it might be easier to share the trouble!

oneiller and EmilyLee like this.

Oneiller, just get yourselves over here and enjoy the ride. Life is to be lived. If it all goes tits up well, you know where the airport is (you will hear that a lot on here).
    Get to a Geo Happy Hour and then you can get plenty of more useful (but more useless) advice from other geoites.

oneiller likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast