Like Tree77Likes

Moving to Hong Kong for boyfriend's work

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong for boyfriend's work

Hi there,

I am planning a move to Hong Kong with my boyfriend. He will be moving through his work in the UK so a visa for him shouldn't be an issue. For me it may be more tricky as I won't have a job and would intend on finding work when I get out there. Is this risky? My main work experiences are within Estate Agency and the Administration/Secretarial side of things.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? We are both 24 so I am keen to find work and meet new people.

Any tips would be very welcome!

Thanks,
    Emily

If you don't speak and read Cantonese then basically your only option is to get married.

This wasn't the answer I was hoping for......

I do have a degree in Environmental Studies from Manchester University if that makes any difference??

Not really!

But once you get married I reckon you'd find it fairly easy to get a job that would pay the grocery bill at least with an environmental think tank like Civic Exchange.

The problem otherwise is justifying why you can do a job that no local can do (a requirement for an employment visa).

Just as an aside, are your parents from Hong Kong (just guessing off the Lee bit)? If so, you might be able to get a better sort of immigration status.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 25-02-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyLee:
    Hi there,

I am planning a move to Hong Kong with my boyfriend. He will be moving through his work in the UK so a visa for him shouldn't be an issue. For me it may be more tricky as I won't have a job and would intend on finding work when I get out there. Is this risky? My main work experiences are within Estate Agency and the Administration/Secretarial side of things.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? We are both 24 so I am keen to find work and meet new people.

Any tips would be very welcome!

Thanks,
    Emily
    If u r open minded, hard working, ready to fight and outgoing, you should have no issue landing a job at some point.

Come with him and see. U r 24..,.nothing to loose..life ahead of you!
    INXS, HK2A430 and imparanoic like this.

Thanks, Mat. This is more encouraging! I wouldn't expect to find a job straight away just really wondered about the likelihood of ever being able to find work.

Do you need a job for the money? Another option would be to come and study on a study visa...if you were interested in teaching English you could come and do TrinityTESOL...

A degree and TESOL are the minimum requirements for teaching English here (generally speaking)...if you fancied teaching English at kindergarten there are several agencies who would sponsor you...p/t you could expect 10k p/m in the beginning...

I would need a job for the money really, and to keep myself busy - too young to give up work just yet (or so my boyfriend tells me )

I'm not the most patient of people so not sure how good I would be at teaching English but this is an option.

Also, Grantfuttock, unfortunately no, my parents are English.

If you want to come the easiest way would be to get legally married. I tried to do something similar going to London and it was two years of hell. Got legally married, and it was a breeze to come to HK as a spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyLee:
    I would need a job for the money really, and to keep myself busy - too young to give up work just yet (or so my boyfriend tells me )

I'm not the most patient of people so not sure how good I would be at teaching English but this is an option.
    There's also the issue of living here illegally if you don't have a work visa (and aren't eligible for a dependent visa unless you get married). You get 6 months as a tourist but after that, you're risking getting caught by Immigration (and deported). Some people get away with it for years, some people get caught the first time they do a visa run. Personally, that's not something I would chance.

So you might want to give some serious thought to teaching English as it would give you an income and allow you to live here legally. Then you can always look for other work while you're living here.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast