Looking for insight into potential HK move

Closed Thread

Looking for insight into potential HK move

Hi Everyone,

I was pointed here by a friend of mine currently in HK who's trying to get me to move over there to teach English. Here's my situation, I'm currently at a job that is filled with great co-workers and in a beautiful region of the US but holds relatively little appeal for a long-term career. The pay isn't great but the workplace environment helps make-up for it.

Aside from needing to decide which direction I want my career to go, I have a job offer to teach at an English school (my friend's sister owns the place) for roughly $19k HKD/month (usual 13 month pay schedule). Is that enough to get by/save some cash if I'm living either alone (studio) or with a roomie, eat local cuisine, and don't really drink much? I have no idea what utilities will run but I know cell phones and food are relatively cheap... The school is around Tsuen Wan (but anything close to an MTR station is preferred).

Thanks for your help!

-Jason

Well if you share, you might be able to pay as little as 3-5K for a flat especially if you live near Tsuen Wan.

You could get by on another 5K/month on food and entertainment, Take another 5K/month for travel, tax etc...

You should easily be able to save 5K/month

As I've said many times, most people in HK earn about half that salary though many live in public housing and shared households. General office staff make around 10K, security guards even less... so with 5K rent, you're still ahead of many.

Worst case, it's a nice experience for a year or two and you can travel around the region.

Thanks Gilles. I was looking around the site and getting a bit worried because it seems that a lot of people are making substantially more and are still worried about living in the city (but are obviously in a different market than I am).

It looks like I'll be coming to HK sometime in the fall!

Well it really depends on how you want to live and why you come to HK. Because of the low taxes and good expat packages, many people come to Hk to make money. Others want to maintain the same standard of living they have where they live.

There are more than a few expat that live in flat that costs double what you'll make in a month and we're not talking about mansions here. A nice 3 bedroom apartment, centrally located with amenities can easily cost that much. Fortunately, there something for everyone and living in Tsuen Wan is considerably cheaper, a meal in a western restaurant can easily cost well over 100HKD but if you go to a little chinese shop, you can eat a good meal for 25-50HKD. Public transport is efficient and very cheap. If you look around, clothes are also very cheap and you can find great bargains. I used to pay around 100US for good runners and here, I rarely pay more than 50-60 for the same product.

Although I have much smaller living space that I had since I always lived in houses, I live much more cheaply here than I ever did in North America, Europe or Australia/NZ and not owing a car saves a pile of money that can be used for traveling.

I saw a report that the average person spend about 100K US over 7-10 years on car costs.

19K would be entry level. Get them to do your visa and get here. If you then figure they're taking you for a ride (you'll soon figure what the other schools are offering to people with your quals), there is always a demand for well qualified teachers.

I figured 19k might be a bit entry level but I'll be working for my friend's sister and the people at work/the workplace are nice/friendly. As always, see how things work out, but I think I'll be just fine financially considering I live for bargains and finding the easiest way to do things on the cheap.

I figure after a year I'd be better qualified than I am now at any rate (only about 5-6 months of experience and not with this age group). All should go well once I have the visa in hand.