Is this salary sufficient?

Closed Thread

Is this salary sufficient?

Hi folks,

Here's yet another HK-aspirant bugging with you his query.

I have got an offer from an IT service provider in HK. They have offered a salary of 35000 HKD (plus 13th month salary).

If I accept the offer, I will be moving with my wife. The work location would be in Science Park.

Given the above, my questions are:

1) Is 35000 HKD salary sufficient for a vegetarian couple to live a simple life (only 2 eat-outs/month).

2) What are the standard deductions applicable to the salary? Out of 35K, how much can I hope to take home?

3) Is it possible to live on a budget of 16-18K (8K for the housing and 8-10 K for living expenses) without feeling squeezed?

4) What is the nearest MTR/KCR station to Science park?

5) Are there any shuttle buses available from nearest MTR/KCR station to Science park? If so, what is the commute time?

6) What are the housing options near or around Science Park (within 40 minutes public transport commute time)? Can I hope to get a 1 or 2 bedroom house for 8K?

Thanks a ton for your patience so far. It would be great if anyone could share whatever they know. I would also love to hear opinions from ppl from similar background (Indian/vegetarian). Hope I am not sounding narrow-minded . By the way, I am from Bangalore, India; anyone on this forum from B'lore?

Thanks again,
    1moredesi

Sending you a PM

Last edited by oormila; 11-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1moredesi:
    Hi folks,

Here's yet another HK-aspirant bugging with you his query.

I have got an offer from an IT service provider in HK. They have offered a salary of 35000 HKD (plus 13th month salary).

If I accept the offer, I will be moving with my wife. The work location would be in Science Park.

Given the above, my questions are:

1) Is 35000 HKD salary sufficient for a vegetarian couple to live a simple life (only 2 eat-outs/month).

Can certainly give you a little more than a simple life! You wont live like a king but you will not be poor either.

2) What are the standard deductions applicable to the salary? Out of 35K, how much can I hope to take home?

Tax is deducted once a year. If your wife is not working the first $216K is tax free, after that is works on a scale. See Salaries Tax Computation. On the information you have provided your tax liability each year should be around $28,630.

3) Is it possible to live on a budget of 16-18K (8K for the housing and 8-10 K for living expenses) without feeling squeezed?

Yes entirely possible in the New Territories. Either a small apartment in Shatin or a larger apartment in Tai Po. Other areas in the New Territories can be considered.

4) What is the nearest MTR/KCR station to Science park?

University

5) Are there any shuttle buses available from nearest MTR/KCR station to Science park? If so, what is the commute time?

Yes, although not sure of the commute time. Driving takes no more than 10 minutes.

6) What are the housing options near or around Science Park (within 40 minutes public transport commute time)? Can I hope to get a 1 or 2 bedroom house for 8K?

See question 3.

Thanks a ton for your patience so far. It would be great if anyone could share whatever they know. I would also love to hear opinions from ppl from similar background (Indian/vegetarian). Hope I am not sounding narrow-minded . By the way, I am from Bangalore, India; anyone on this forum from B'lore?

Thanks again,
    1moredesi
    See answers above!

Hi jaykay,

Thanks so much for the help..

Regards,
    1moredesi