Possible Relocation From SG to HK

Closed Thread

Possible Relocation From SG to HK

Hi all,
    I'm exploring a possible relocation from Singapore to HK with my company, and I would like to understand the following better. I've tried to search, but couldn't find anything close to my situation, so I do beg your indulgence.

Education
    I have 3 kids, (one in Primary 1 - 7 years old, one in Kindergarten - 5 years old, and one in play school - 3 years old).
    Education is one of my chief concerns. I was thinking of the Singapore International School, but their prices seem quite steep. Are there any other good international schools anyone would recommend? Or any local schools which teach in the English medium?
    Also, how much would I need to factor in for education for my children?

Housing
    Where would be a good and reasonably priced location for a family to stay, and how much should I budget for this?

Taxation

What is the tax rate (I get some differing inputs, some say 16%, some say 15%) in HK for Expatriats? Is the tax rate the same for a person employed on local terms?

Really appreciate your inputs, as I am really clueless at this point on what to expect, this being really the start of my researching for this relocation.

Kind Regards
    Paul Chan

On tax everyone is subject to the same rules. There is a sliding scale and a flat rate - you pay whichever is cheaper. The exact breakpoint depends on allowances for kids etc. (roughly, it's HK$600K/year plus allowances).

But the bottom line is that the maximum you will pay was 16% for the fiscal year 2007/8; it is 15% from 1 April 2008 until further notice. If your employer agrees to some form filling you can get the effective rate down a little by using a housing allowance scheme (do a search on this forum for Housing Allowance to find more details).

In addition you have to pay a Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) contribution of 5% capped at HK$1,000 per month, which must be matched by your employer.

Others are better qualified than me on the questions of kids.

Last edited by PDLM; 15-07-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Many thanks for clearing my doubts on the tax rate PDLM.

>> Are there any other good international schools anyone would
    >> recommend? Or any local schools which teach in the English
    >> medium?

The ESF (English Schools Foundation) is the most popular with those who want English education and want to stay away from the private international schools.

There is a fairly complete list here:

International Primary Schools in Hong Kong :: GeoKids.HK - Hong Kong's Premier Parenting Website

Your choice of schools will be dictated by the where you stay.