Like Tree9Likes

Move to HK and need advice about Lam Tin area

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Move to HK and need advice about Lam Tin area

Hi,

I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia and I'll move to HK in August. I will work on East Tsim Sha Tsui area with local contract agreement so I have limited budget for rent. I found this very nice place in Lam Tin area, it's a big furnished studio with rooftop for around HKD 8,000 per month in Laguna City. I've checked the map and it's quiet far from TST actually. Does anyone here live in Lam Tin area? How does the neighbourhood feel? Are there many restaurants/cafes and supermarkets around?

I'm 23 years old and still single so a studio apartment is not a problem for me. Still not sure until now, is it better to live in the city center or HK island area in cheap and very small apartments with plenty of good places around the neighbourhood or live far from the city but you can get a very nice place to live. What do you think? Please share

There are many shopping malls around Lam Tin, not necessarily up-scale (if that is what you are looking for), but you can get most of your daily necessities from there.

The area is a typical dense urban environment you find in most areas of HK. Not an up-scale area but not considered a particularly poor area either. Its a mix of middle-class and working class neighbourhoods typical of this city. Although there are one or two parks in the area. Specifically, there is the Sai Tso Wan Recreational Ground built on top of a former landfill and Lam Tin Park which has some hiking trails.

To get to TST, you can take the MTR from Lam Tin Station and ride on the Kwun Tong line and change to Tsuen Wan line at Kowloon Tong station. However, there might be one or two bus routes that might get you to TST more directly.

Last edited by Watercooler; 21-05-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You say you've found a studio flat in Lam Tin. When you viewed it you should have had a stroll around the area. You would have seen these things.

People have different preferences. Of course budget can be the highest priority. Some on a tight budget might be okay with a room on the island whereas others would prefer more space as the cost of a long commute. It's all personal. Decide which is more important to you.

I've found the studio from locanto.hk so I have no idea about the area yet. However, will be there for a short trip in June and I will definitely visit Lam Tin. Thanks for your advice!

Do not even THINK about renting a place you have found on the internet unless you can inspect it in person before your sign a lease. Misinformation and downright fraud abound.

The "local" way is to get either a personal recommendation for a place, or just walk in to one of the many estate agencies you find in any residential area, give them your requirements, and ask to inspect what is available.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Do not even THINK about renting a place you have found on the internet unless you can inspect it in person before your sign a lease. Misinformation and downright fraud abound.

The "local" way is to get either a personal recommendation for a place, or just walk in to one of the many estate agencies you find in any residential area, give them your requirements, and ask to inspect what is available.
    Hi, thanks for your advice. Yes, of course i will not sign any lease before i inspect the apartment and meet the owner in person. I've read some fraud issues on some online posting as well so for sure i need to be careful on this. Wish me luck!
    chingleutsch likes this.

There's a direct bus from Laguna City to Tsim Tsa Tsui

Bus number 219x

http://www.kmb.hk

Feel free to PM me as I know Lam Tin very well.

Last edited by ramelec; 21-05-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    dancey02 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dancey02:
    Hi, thanks for your advice. Yes, of course i will not sign any lease before i inspect the apartment and meet the owner in person. I've read some fraud issues on some online posting as well so for sure i need to be careful on this. Wish me luck!
    A quick search shows flats in Laguna City are way more expensive than 8K:

http://search.gohome.com.hk/Lam-Tin/...ity/en/?type=2

It should be more like 18K for what you have found on locate.hk:

http://kwuntong.locanto.hk/ID_253734...guna-City.html
    dancey02 likes this.

From the gohome link there are 2br flats around 14.5k...if its a studio (O br) 8k is plausible...tho i would be surprised if Laguna City had (legal) studio flats...seems a family complex to me...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Tho something does look whacked with that locanto posting....$8000 for 650 sq METERS?...gotta be a few typos in there...as was stated prob sb 18k....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by anothercanuck; 21-05-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast