Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Prefab Sprout
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Housing Recommendation

Closed Thread

Housing Recommendation

Hello,

We are an Australian family moving to HK late July. We have finally got the kids into an International at ICHK. 2 kids at the Primary and 1 at the secondary college.

I am after some advice on potential housing locations.

Some background

- Australian family
    - 3 boys
    - schooling ICHK
    - work at Kwun Tong
    - first Asian relocation and while the family is very excited it may be quite a shock.
    - preference is for an area with expat community
    - family is not used to apartment living so larger accommodation is a preference
    - wife would love a sea view
    - budget is a little flexible

We did a reconnaissance tour last year which mainly looked around Sai Kung but I am concerned at the travel required now the boys are at ICHK.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Gwyl

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I would locate somewhere near the school. You should be able to find a village house in that area - larger than a flat and with more access to the outdoors for your kids. You can take the MTR to work; they would have an easier journey. You won't have a huge number of expats around, but nowhere in HK is really that full of expats and to be honest the NT is not that hard to cope with. Others who are more familiar with the area may be able to point to specific villages, but otherwise just rock up and look around for an agent and let them show you. Don't agree to anything without seeing it.

will you drive? I presume you mean ICHK hong lok yuen and not sha tau kok? if you drive, beverly hills in tai po will be doable, very expat orientated and luxury apartments estate, close to hong lok yuen, 35-40 mins drive to kwun tong, has seaview and is in a very green area, tai mei tuk is a nice part of countryside and less than 5 mins drive

HK_Katherine likes this.

Hi,

Yes we are comfortable with driving. Tai Po sounds good can anyone recommend a good agent?

Regards

I would forget about Sai Kung, Tai Po is the obvious choice for you. I'm very pleased for you that you will not be doing the usual 'work in Central/live in Central/DB' thing. The area between Tai Po and ICHK is beautiful and about as far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city as you can get in the territory.

Will you take a serviced apartment in the beginning?

imparanoic likes this.

After our first trip to HK the wife wasn't interested in the central lifestyle. We did have a look at DB as well and it just did not feel right for us.

We are coming early June to pick some housing and moving end of July so we are hoping to minimise time spent in services apartments. We want to get the kids to have some time to settle into the new environment before school starts

Regard

Gwyl

ah found the right thread.

This was just posted to Sai Kung Market place in Facebook groups today.

Triplex village house near Hong Lok Yuen (Tai Po, 5min to 'HLYIS' IB school). 4 bedrooms (2 ensuit one with walk-in wardrobe). Open kitchen with large living/dining area - house is 2100 sq ft (100% efficiency) plus 1500 sq ft garden and over 10,000 sq ft ungated space outside. Located in Yuen Leng Village.
    The house is available without agent for 29k (no agency fee) - whereas agency is now listing it at 35k. If interested please text or call Olivia directly on 94446813
    These are great deals but they go very fast, just re-reading your original post, seems you will be coming to HK later in the year, pity as this would be great for ya.

When you do get here try to find one of these.

Thanks. The house looks exactly like what we are after !

Thanks for the advice

Regards

Out of interest which Facebook group was it?

Quote Originally Posted by gwyl78:
    Out of interest which Facebook group was it?
    Sai Kung Market place

But the house listed above is not actually in Sai Kung, it is north of Tai Po/ Hong Lok Yuen.