Move from Canada Oakville to HK

Closed Thread

Move from Canada Oakville to HK

Hi all,

This is a great website full of lots of information when I am really bewildering my future and had no idea what will be the best for my family.

I am going to have a job offer, the salary range could be around 7K-8K HKD/m plus relocation, I am a Canadian Chinese with 2 kids (8 ans 2), my wife is a registered nurse.

We lived in Canada with a not bad life style with a total income 130K CAD /year, of course, life is not as exciting as it is in HKG, it is one of reasons I am thinking about moving, of course, career opportunity is another reason.

We never lived in HKG before, I know it is a bit personal decision vary from one to another, but we just don't know what to do, Can any one shed some lights even you have been through this before.

If you are a Canadian with family, Are you happy now after moving to HKG?

Thank you and appreciate it
    William

I hope you made a typo. 7-8K HKD is about $1000 CDN. Good luck living with two Canadian kids on that budget.

yes I hope you meant 70-80K/month otherwise it';s going to be a severe plunge from your canadian lifestyle

Sorry, 70-80K HKD/m of course.

With 2 kids in the international school, and not sure of my wife can also land a nurse job, plus we may rent or buy an apartment budgeted over 20K/m, Can we improve our life style comparing in Canada ?

Are you guys happy about the decision you made about moving ?
    Are kids happy ?

if you never lived in HK before, the living condition (space wise) will be terrible for you and especially for your kids who takes space as grantd.
    I was born in HK aged 55, i am sure i can return there confortably after 25 yr living in US.
    However, if your ( whole family) goal is more excited lifestyle, then you are on the right track.
    But the trade of is pretty big!
    if you rent a flat in wanchai (or similar convient area) ready to pay hk$20,000-25,000 for just 700 sq.ft apartment.
    education is another issue for kids, international school is expensive too.

Well the salary seems similar but considering you probably pay a boat load of tax in Canada, that might be an improvement. On the other hand, you may not be happy with what living in a 20K apartment depending where you want to live if you want space for the kids. You can pay that much for a 500sq ft apartment in mid level. On the other hand, you'll have something decent in the NT for that price. You're also looking at 20K/month for schooling.

You won't be hard up but it's not going to be luxurious living either. The kids should enjoy the school and since they are canadian, I'd recommend the Canadian School in Aberdeen, it's a nice facility and an excellent school that uses the Ontario curriculum and IB. They'll be very happy there.

Thanks!
    I think i should ask more house allowance then.
    I know it may not be a expat package, Would the expat package structured payment be beneficial to income tax ?

Is the housing only concern ? any other downsides, of course, the air polution is also expected, we may have to stay in NT or DB somewhere, which location do you recommend if I wish send my kids to Canadian Internaitonal School.

I am also thinking to ask my wife to get a job then in this case, Is it easy to find a nurse job in HKG provde she has 4-5 years nursing experience in Canada already.

Thanks

The two things that really annoy me most about HK, you've nailed on the head. Housing and pollution, these are the things that have made me leave a couple of times but after a good break and lung cleaning I'm ready to come back.

If you're working in Central then Pok Fu Lam and Ap Lei Chau would be good compromise between price, convenience and having a bit of space.

DB isn't bad either and many families send their kids to school on the island from there and there's a bus pickup at the terminal. ESF has also opened a new school on DB.

The only thing you may ask your company is to write your housing allowance in a way that you can deduct some of it from taxes but the rates are really excellent in HK so you won't feel as ripped off as you do in Canada. Check this out and enjoy the simplicity

Salaries Tax Computation

Thanks for the info ... Take account of all I am aware of from this forum, I am thinking about an alternative, I may keep my Canadian residence for 1-2 years before I move my family permanent here.

In this case, Do I have to file income tax back to Canada? As per this forum, general view is I have to pay income tax in HKG then pay balance to Canada, so i will be end up to pay the same tax as I work in Canada as full time.

Then the question comes to deduction, where should I claim deduction? HKG or CAN?

The second question is, Do I have to pay income tax back to Canada? or I can just report a portion of my salary? How would RCA know about it ?

Do you know?

thanks