We're Moving to HK!!! Couple of Quick Questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There's a good thread on membership fees here.

Near the bottom of the posts there's a good breakdown of the exact numbers.

I had a look at that, just out of interest. I was recommended to the USRC in Jordan by a neighbour here and that looked nice too but incredibly expensive (in my view). We are members of the Gold Coast Country Club because we live in the Marina (it's a prerequisite of living here) but I do look around me and wonder why people pay such huge fees to join these clubs (and GC is cheaper than USRC and AC by some margin). So, why is it? Many appartment complexes have sporting facilities and HK is full of restaurants so what's the attraction? Just curious!

While many apartment complexes have facilities, many more do not. Those that do may have a gym and a small pool but not always full facilities and the maintenance can be uneven.

Many clubs provide outstanding facilities for many sports. Take the Football Club in Happy Valley. Nice gym, all year round swimming pool, great squash courts, OK tennis courts, full gymnasium for badminton or basketball, a DVD and book library, a bowling alley, two bowling greens, golf practice simulator and range, golf playing privileges in Macau and China, parking near CWB, sauna and steam room, snooker room, football and hockey pitch. I don't know any residential development that offers all this.

On top of it, many people wish to join teams or social groups to play a sport which is also difficult in a residential development and finally, the networking possibilities are always an important component of clubs, it allows you to meet people of means from a variety of professions which can be very useful at times.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I had a look at that, just out of interest. I was recommended to the USRC in Jordan by a neighbour here and that looked nice too but incredibly expensive (in my view). We are members of the Gold Coast Country Club because we live in the Marina (it's a prerequisite of living here) but I do look around me and wonder why people pay such huge fees to join these clubs (and GC is cheaper than USRC and AC by some margin). So, why is it? Many appartment complexes have sporting facilities and HK is full of restaurants so what's the attraction? Just curious!
    I am with Moving07 on this. I really don't see the point of it all.

Our apartment complex has a super tex Tennis court,2 squash courts, a GYM, a library, a massive swimming pool, (one of the largest in HK), a full size snooker table lounge, a gardened public BBQ area, a free resident car washing station/booth ( very very rare), lots of kids play ground equipment around the expansive complex gardens, a public park and our own beach across the street.( less than 5 minutes walk away)

And good restaurants are handy enough, 15 minutes walk away for them not to spoil the peace and quiet of where we chose to live, in our very private cul de sac.

BTW Moving07, we had a very pleasant meal at Le Bristol in the Gold Coast mall last Saturday night, the service, food and ambiance was excellent. Very good value for money @ $650 per head for 4 courses inc wine/spirits & coffee.

I can very lightly agree with Giles regarding sporting clubs, like Sailing etc, but the rest of the facilities really don't matter. Football, cricket and sailing clubs the world over, all have a members bar, but in HK they seem to be a lot more decadent, or more "country club"centric which, detracts from the whole sport focus. Depends on the club i spose, HHYC and the RHKYC HK Marina behind Hebe haven are pretty down to earth, HHYC being one of the most affordable.

But it depends on where you live. I am sure the Gold Coast Country/Yacht club is quiet good, from what i have seen of its facilities, but at the end of the day, if you sail, you want to be on the water, not stuck indoors .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 02-08-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks to you both - very interesting insights.

Skyhook - we had our company xmas lunch function at Le Bristol - that was good, but I do find their menu to be quite "fancy" on the whole which often puts me off (i'm have simple tastes when it come to food!) - but recognising that you are quite a expert on food, I can see why you would be impressed! (PS - those photos of food you put up were quite amazing!).