Looking for sports for 3 active kids

Looking for sports for 3 active kids

My husband has been recently offered a position in HK and I have begun researching the different areas, schools and rents. One question I have is are there any recreational or competitive sports for kids to play. We have three very active and multi sport kids who would probably make the move alot better if they knew they would be playing sports in HK. Any help you might be able to give would be great. Oh they play soccer, football (American), baseball, & basketball. Thanks......

Well they won't have much luck with american football and baseball but there are plenty of opportunities for kids in school and I recommend the HK Football Club. It has a nice range of sports for kids and you don't necessarily need to be a member for them to join some of the teams. Rugby and soccer are great and squash might be a nice pick up for individual sport.

When we lived in MOS there was a baseball game near the complex just about every day. They had uniforms and coaches and it spanned a range of ages, so I assumed it was just the HK Little League. It must exist here because they made it to the Asian Finals of the Little League World Series a week or two ago.
    Basketball courts are everywhere, so I am guessing that will be easier than baseball.
    Football is out, though.
    Soccer will be the easiest.

Youth Triathlon at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort

Here is one to tell the folks back home about. Hong Kong Disneyland is hosting the OSIM Triathlon coming up in November. What kid hasn't wanted to ride their bike down main street!?

One thing that has surprised me is just how good the sport in HK is. I'm not sure about the standard for children but for adults it's fantastic. My husband is a great cricketer and has played for his country of birth and his team is full of people with similar exploits.

I play in the top leagues for tennis here and the other week we played women who had played for the Chinese national team. Nearly every week we have good matches and our team is literally brimming with pretty good players.

I assume kids sports are just as competitive as you have locals to compete against and kids from all over the world and frankly if you're a kid in HK and you don't do sport I don't know how you spend your time. Aside from on the computer!

All of the clubs offer lots of different sports for children so definitely try and get a membership thrown in. If either you or hubby are very good at a sport you can always try for a sporting membership if a regular one is not offered by his work.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the opportunities they will have here.

As someone who plays hockey over here, I know there is a pretty good youth set up for hockey (or field hockey as some people call it) as well as rugby at Happy Valley. And there are also the other sports previously mentioned. Lots of choice and a good variety of skill levels available.

My neighbours have teenage kids and they are always complaining about having to drive them all over the place for various sports, so I deduce from that that there is plenty available!

Have you settled down yet?

I have been offered an opportunity to head a new branch office in HK. It sounds like you might have moved from the US to HK. I wonder if you have done so, and have you settled down yet?
    How are the kids and have they become more comfortable about the move? Did you have a hard time finding school?
    My kids should be going to 9th and 4th grade in the States if we were to stay behind. However, when I inquired about the int'l school in HK, they told me that my kids will be applying for 10th and 5th grade for the yr of Setp 2009. I am very concerned not only for the space (which is always on waiting list), but also the level, if they can catch up, etc. Also, because I have not moved yet and do not know where we are going to leave, I am not sure which school to apply.
    Also, if anyone can give me an idea about the income tax issues. Being an American citizen, and also HK born resident, will I be double taxed?
    Thanks for your help.

Yes, you will be taxed by Uncle Sam, although something like the first $80K is exempt.