Like Tree4Likes

Moving to HK from Mumbai/India

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK from Mumbai/India

Hi,
    I am an Engineer + MBA with 4 yr work-ex in Product Management role in India .I have a job offer at HK with Basic Salary of 35K HKD pm,Annual Bonus of 42K based on Performance. Benefits includes Health Insurance ,Relocation Expenses.

If i were to accept this offer,i intend on moving to HK with my wife(She is a Law Graduate).

My Estimate for the expenses based on research are :

House Rent $14,000~Stay options identified at Hung Hom,Laguna City,Tsim Sha Tsui.
    Utilities (Water Gas, Electricity, TV, Internet,Phone ) $1,000
    Other House hold exp. $6,000
    Local Transportation $1,000
    Family Insurance $800
    Yearly travel ticket cost to India $1,000(Monthly saving -Annual 12K)
    Income Tax $2,500
    TOTAL ( HK $) $26,300

The offered profile is good but the stumbling block for me are :
    1.the savings(I think , i will be able to save 4 months expenses after a year) i am going to take home based the higher cost of living in HK & supposedly a lower Salary offer. 2.Job opportunities for my wife.

Based on the experiences that fellow forum members might have had earlier with regards to relocation/moving into HK, Salary Negotiations,Job experiences .e.t.c.,i wanted to check if there anything else that can be negotiated on the salary part ,
    Job opportunities for my wife , & finally whether the offered salary is worth all the effort to move to HK.

How much does this salary compare with your current salary?

How would your wife feel about not working?

Hi,
    When the base for both is taken as HKD, offered Salary is higher than the current salary (around 250% ) which i think may not be the correct indicator to compare as Cost of living expenses in HK are around 214% times than in India.

As far as my wife is concerned,she will be okay to not work .

You might struggle to pay for all your monthly utilities with $1000, especially in summer. I would budget a bit more.

Regarding your package, maybe you could negotiate part of your salary as an allowance for rent.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

$14k won't get you much at Laguna. Try $18k -$20 for something liveable
    Utilities will be closer to $3k
    Transportation will be about $50/day/person.
    What is family insurance? Health insurance?
    Your groceries will be about $4-6k/ month. Will you be eating out? You have no budget for entertainment.

Health insurance is not an essential though

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Your groceries will be about $4-6k/ month. Will you be eating out? You have no budget for entertainment.
    Agree with this except for 3K utilities - it is unlikely to get that high for a couple with no kids living in a smallish flat.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Thanks .for the house I think a 300 ~400 sqft with a kitchen would do for me & wife .will that not be available at Laguna?
    My travel would be towards manulife financial centre at Kwun tong.
    my health insurance will be covered by the company ,I have included the insurance for my wife towards the expenses .
    i intend to cook at home and probably eat out/ get entertained once a fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    You might struggle to pay for all your monthly utilities with $1000, especially in summer. I would budget a bit more.

Regarding your package, maybe you could negotiate part of your salary as an allowance for rent.

Thanks ,I'll redo the math and negotiate on the rent part.btw,how much rent in advance ,commission am I supposed to pay ? Two months advance ,15 day commission ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Agree with this except for 3K utilities - it is unlikely to get that high for a couple with no kids living in a smallish flat.
    Here are my summer utilities approx cost

Elec $1200
    2 phones, 1 pad data about $1000
    TV + broadband $600
    Water and gas. Minimal. $200

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast