Like Tree11Likes

Importing a car from UK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It has always been the law that if you are on a visa allowing residence then you are required to exchange your licence before it is legal for you to drive. Only if you are on a tourist visa are you allowed to drive without exchanging your license.

Of course every other country allows residents a grace period because that is logical, but in HK it is a penalty to being resident.

If you got away with it, it is because they didn't understand the law they are supposed to enforce. Hardly something new in HK.

6 months grace period a few years ago.

Thank you do much for your advice everyone. The C4 stays in England !

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

kimwy66 likes this.

Regarding first registration tax. Is the tax based on the current value or the purchase price? Just as an example (and I am not considering importing it) I have a 52 plate Vauxhall Vectra, Elegance in England. I paid 8k (GBP) for that in 2005. I guess it would have been 20k new?

The 40% 1st registration tax. Is that 40% of:

a.) The new price of the car, i.e. 20k
    b.) What I paid for it, i.e. 8k
    c.) The value of it today in England, i.e. 2k
    d.) Some value the T.D. will pluck out of a hat

If the answer is d.) how do they come to that value?

Last question...a pal has an MG in England that I might like. If I bought it from him, should I leave it there for some time? I mean, does it make a difference how long I've owned the vehicle? Would I need to have it registered in my name in the U.K.?

Looking for answers from folks who have actual experience importing cars, thanks.

It is :

1. The price you paid for the car and can prove with an official receipt.
    2. Plus The cost to ship (including insurance etc) it to Hong Kong.
    3. The total of (price paid less depreciation) + shipping = the Taxable Value
    4. Depreciation is allowed for the number of complete years you have owned the vehicle:

In case of a petrol-engine vehicle, a
    depreciation rate of 25% per annum on a reducing balance basis will be applied. In the case of a
    diesel-engine vehicle, the depreciation rate will be 20% per annum.
    5. You are also required to provide receipts of all repairs / maintenance / modifications done - I guess they would whack on the cost of modifications

So real world example, your Vauxhall Vectra:

£8k + say £2k shipping

8k - 25% = 6k
    6k - 25% = 4500
    4500 - 25% = 3375
    3375 - 25% = 2531

yadda yadda yadda. At the end of that you get to the value for tax. Add on shipping and 40% of that is your first registration. In your case it would be minimal.

Edit: missed the last bit

Last question...a pal has an MG in England that I might like. If I bought it from him, should I leave it there for some time? I mean, does it make a difference how long I've owned the vehicle? Would I need to have it registered in my name in the U.K.?
    in this case, yes it makes a big difference how long you have owned it. minimum it has to be 6 months to be classed as a personal import and be exempt from the Emissions and noise testing.

Next, as the example above, the depreciation available is on your ownership not the age of the car. so you need to work out what you are prepared to pay total to get the car here, and work back from that as to how many years you have to own it to get the drepreciation down.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 06-06-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Also, on the having to have it registered in your name, you do have to show the registration documents. But I seem to remember you can licence a car in the UK without being the owner? Perhaps not so important, but maybe Skyhook can confirm.

Could it be licensed by your friend and then have a SORN on it, and you could explain your mate was simply storing the car for you?

Thanks for that kimwy66. It's very clear now!

Quote Originally Posted by Prefab Sprout:
    Thanks for that kimwy66. It's very clear now!
    Yes thank you for all that info. I've been reading and rereading documents but it's just not clear. Anyhow it is now. I still think we'll leave our C4 in the UK as we've been told on here it's hard too maintain a Citroen In HK as there aren't many around. Think we'll have to look for a car when we arrive!