insurance coverage through employer

Closed Thread

insurance coverage through employer

I'm hoping to be offered a job and I would be moving to HK from abroad. My question is about insurance coverage. Do major companies offer this as part of the package? Does is normally include coverage for myself and dependants?

If no insurance coverage through employer, do I need to buy private insurance? Is there any coverage offered through the government for those on a visa or is that only for permanent residents?

Thanks for any info!

Depends on your job, mine offers personal accident , private health and dental. But not all will.

Depends on your role and seniority I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

There is no government issued 'insurance'. However, anyone with a HKID (which you will receive if you get a job here) can access the government hospitals which are heavily subsidized.

Many people choose to top this up with private insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

So if you don't purchase (or receive through work) additional insurance and you need a doctor for something simple-kids get sick, etc, can you go to a doctor? Or do you go to the government hospital?

See if you can continue with your existing policy if you move abroad. I'm still paying for my life insurance which is cheaper than my personal one that I got here. Obviously check to see what the implications are too (i.e. Non residency).

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nmiller:
    So if you don't purchase (or receive through work) additional insurance and you need a doctor for something simple-kids get sick, etc, can you go to a doctor? Or do you go to the government hospital?
    You just go to the local doc. They speak good English. Cost is a few hundred HKD. I used to pay 280 I think but it might have gone up.

Don't think health insurance would transfer-guess it would be more like travel insurance. But it seems pretty simple to go to a local doctor. Thanks!