Jobs in Hong Kong + rules on bringing animals in

Closed Thread

Question Jobs in Hong Kong + rules on bringing animals in

I will be moving to HK (probably one of the outer islands, much cheaper) in the next two years, and I was wondering would it be better to get a job before I move, or save up and find a job when I arrive there? I won't be completely alone; I have friends that will be able to support me for a while if need be.
    I'd quite like something in the music industry or in photography, money isn't really an issue as long as it's over $8,000 per month.

On a side note - am I allowed to bring my non-venomous Royal Python into Hong Kong? What are the rules/laws on that?

The first question is on what basis do you have the right to "move to Hong Kong"? Unless you have the right of abode here you can't simply roll up and move in - you need a visa!

The rules on import of reptiles are here.

Yes, I understand that. What do you mean by "right"? I want to live there. I will be living with my partner who already lives there, but of course I will also need a job.
    Thank you for the reptile information.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldhissla:
    Yes, I understand that. What do you mean by "right"? I want to live there. I will be living with my partner who already lives there, but of course I will also need a job.
    Thank you for the reptile information.
    By "right" he means that without a visa you can only come for short periods of time as a tourist. You cannot just move in with your partner. You cannot work, lease property, get an ID card or do any of the things you'd need to do to live here. For example, they would probably ask if you had a visa when you tried to import your snake.

If you are married to your partner and he is here legally you can get a dependent visa, which is fine.

If you have some historical connection to the place and have the right to land, right of abode etc then that's fine too.

But if you just a normal person from another country you can only come as a tourist. 90 day maximum stay (unless a UK passport which is 180) and if you come and go a few times to reactivate the 90 day trigger eventually they notice and deport you.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 09-08-2008 at 06:39 AM.

MovingIn07,
    Thank you for your response. I have a UK passport, but think that may be the only thing going in my favour at the moment.
    I apologise for my ignorance on the subject; my partner and I are trawling HK government websites trying to find what we need to do, but it's all very confusing and not at all clear.
    I wonder if you, or anyone else reading this thread, could advise me who I have to contact and what I need to to in order to get permanent residence or a visa that allows me the right of abode in HK?
    I should also mention that my partner already has the right to abode in Hong Kong, having lived there for more than 7 years.

Last edited by Aldhissla; 09-08-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo

visas etc

sorry but what the other posters are saying is that unless you want to risk trotting in and out of Macau or Shenzhen every month or so to get a stamp on your passport ,basically you will either have to get a job here that no-one Chinese can do , and then they will sponsor your work visa- like ,for instance , teach English or marry your partner ad get a dependant's visa.HK does not recognise 'de facto' or other relationships as a right of abode qualification. Good luck .Look at the immigration website and pages under Hong Kong Govt for more info.

Last edited by Miss P; 09-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.

You either need to marry your "partner" (and they need to be of the opposite sex - same sex marriages are not recognised here) or you need to get sponsored for an Employment Visa in your own right (meaning you have to find an employer who will offer you a job and go through the hassle of sponsoring you for an Employment Visa, amongst the criteria for which is that they (the potential employer) must be able to show that they are unable to recruit a HK Permanent Resident to do the job).

Getting a Dependant Visa (through marriage) or an Employment Visa will give you a temporary right of abode here. When you have lived legally as a HK Resident on one of those types of visa for 7 years then you can apply for Permanent Residence.

Thumbs up

Okay, I think I'm getting the picture now. Basically I need to find a job, and the employer should be able to help me from there, right?
    Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldhissla:
    Okay, I think I'm getting the picture now. Basically I need to find a job, and the employer should be able to help me from there, right?
    Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.
    Bear in mind that any old job will not qualify you for a working visa. The job must be a job that a Hong Kong person cannot do - generally a professional position (banker, lawyer, doctor, etc. this list is not exhaustive, but you get the idea) or an English teacher. There are also minimum salary requirements for the visa to be approved, something like HK$20,000 per month. The immigration web site and a bunch of other posts will give you all the details that should help with your planning.

Okay. Thank you to everyone who replied. As I said, I won't be moving for around two years, and I guess that's good, because it seems this whole thing is going to take some time.