Like Tree5Likes

Moving to HK for UK with HK wife

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

They will certainly write to an overseas address - in fact I think some people find that they get their application letters sent overseas even if they are in HK! - but it will go snail-mail which will take a couple of weeks. I would just ring them up to confirm receipt and get your application number then you can track online.

Just to update, I tried call HK immigration office, they took my email address and said that someone would email to confirm application received. This was just before the Mid Autumn break, so wasn't surprised not to hear back as yet. However I did receive a letter confirming application in progress yesterday (10 days after application received at their end). So just a case of sitting back and waiting for them to progress it now, hoping I have everything in order.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

mrsguntrip likes this.

Just wondering if anyone else has successfully applied for and received a dependant visa recently, or is going through the process?

I received my confirmation that application was being processed as of 28th of August (4 weeks ago now). No further contact at this stage, but no confirmation approved either. I know I'm just being impatient and should just sit tight and wait the recommended 6 weeks, but keen to know if anyone has recent experience?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Shouldn't be too long as you're not from a 'high risk' country. It can be frustrating, but you should hear the tales of UK citizens going the other way with foreign spouses! At least you don't be gouged for the cost of the visa.

RyanLock82 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLock82:
    Just wondering if anyone else has successfully applied for and received a dependant visa recently, or is going through the process?

I received my confirmation that application was being processed as of 28th of August (4 weeks ago now). No further contact at this stage, but no confirmation approved either. I know I'm just being impatient and should just sit tight and wait the recommended 6 weeks, but keen to know if anyone has recent experience?

Hey there,
    When you get it all sorted out can you please post up your time line here from start to finish? Be interested to know as I'm going to lodge my dependent visa application in the near future.
    Cheers,
    Ryan
    RyanLock82 likes this.

Just an update on our progress:
    We sent the application out from UK on 15th Sept.
    We recevied a confirmation from HK immigration office of receiving the application on 25th Sept.

On the letter, it said the processing time is about 6 weeks.

It is great that they send the confirmation back to UK rather than to HK family address.

Last edited by mrsguntrip; 26-09-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_w:
    Hey there,
    When you get it all sorted out can you please post up your time line here from start to finish? Be interested to know as I'm going to lodge my dependent visa application in the near future.
    Cheers,
    Ryan
    Hi All,

Pleased to confirm that my application status has changed online to 'Visa Approved', I imagine formal letter to follow in the post.

By way of timeline for my application process;

21st August - Visa Application posted from UK

28th August - application received and confirmed as 'In Progress'. Although the letter arrived around 10 days after this date and email confirmation at similar time following request for update.

9th October - Visa Status updated to 'Approved' (I was checking daily).

This was precisely six weeks after application received by HKID, so fair play to them for keep to their proposed timescale.

Best get packing, see you early December Hong Kongers. Good luck to all going through the visa process!!

ryan_w likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLock82:
    Hi All,

Pleased to confirm that my application status has changed online to 'Visa Approved', I imagine formal letter to follow in the post.

By way of timeline for my application process;

21st August - Visa Application posted from UK

28th August - application received and confirmed as 'In Progress'. Although the letter arrived around 10 days after this date and email confirmation at similar time following request for update.

9th October - Visa Status updated to 'Approved' (I was checking daily).

This was precisely six weeks after application received by HKID, so fair play to them for keep to their proposed timescale.

Best get packing, see you early December Hong Kongers. Good luck to all going through the visa process!!

Great work mate,
    All the best for your move to HK.
    I'm about to send my application off and I'm wondering if you sent: bank statements, photos, marriage certificate etc?
    Also they say that the visa is to be picked up by an authorised person. As my wife lives with me in Australia (not HK) what is the process here? They said I could nominate a relative of hers living in HK to pick up and pay for the visa (HK$160). Did you nominate someone?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_w:
    Great work mate,
    All the best for your move to HK.
    I'm about to send my application off and I'm wondering if you sent: bank statements, photos, marriage certificate etc?
    Also they say that the visa is to be picked up by an authorised person. As my wife lives with me in Australia (not HK) what is the process here? They said I could nominate a relative of hers living in HK to pick up and pay for the visa (HK$160). Did you nominate someone?
    Cheers
    Thanks man. It's good to know I'll be able to make the move without any complications. Even when you know it's a formality there is still a doubt that creeps in.

I sent as much information as I could as I figured that way any questions that may be raised could be easily answered, without need to send more info over. So that included photocopy of marriage certificate, bank statements with my wife's name on and a letter from her mum confirming we could rent an apartment she owns (along with solicitors letter confirming she is the owner). I also printed off 10 or 15 photos and wrote a brief overview of our relationship as I figure the main objective is to be free of doubt for the HKID that the relationship is genuine.

Once I receive my letter confirming Visa proved I'll nominate my mother in law to collect for me in Hong Kong and send back to Uk (Will let you know how that part goes).

Are you moving to HK with work lined up? I'm not, the next part of the mission begins soon!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3