Like Tree6Likes

Questions about what to bring with me and moving...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Hi,
    4) If you are an 'average' UK or US-sized person, you'll be 'large' here. If you are slightly heavier, or have say a big head or big feet, you'll find a number of things here simply don't fit or your selection will be quite limited. While I'm a USA 'medium' for clothes I buy HK 'large' size, and things like socks and shoes (size 11.5 USA) are basically non-starters here. Sure you can find the odd one here or there or at Marks and Spencer, but nothing like the variety you had back home. I also have a bigger head so I had problems buying a hat (and if you want to go outdoors hiking, a sun or boonie hat is a good idea).
    Thanks! I didn't even think about this. I'm one of those weirdly shaped people, so I brought most everything with me. I'm really short and very curvy (a curse that my family believes came from mixing the Irish and the Dutch genes). I'm a size small in the US and can even get into kids shoes (my wellies for instance). So hopefully with a little luck and a whole lot of trying things on to figure it out, I'll be able to find some of the last few things I didn't bring. Of course I'll learn to live without if I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by kassiek:
    Thanks! I didn't even think about this. I'm one of those weirdly shaped people, so I brought most everything with me. I'm really short and very curvy (a curse that my family believes came from mixing the Irish and the Dutch genes).
    You'll be fine with shoes,socks etc here, but if you're curvy don't assume you can get clothes to fit easily. Locals don't usually have curves so most clothes cater to the boyish figure. (You could just buy large sizes and get everything taken in at a local tailors, but that's a total pain for casual wear).

Sheets - bring flat sheets, not fitted, and you'll be fine with the different bed sizes.

Ask the hall for a list of what they supply (e.g. duvets?)

More and more US/UK websites deliver clothes to HK, often cheaply. But the return postage charges cost an arm and leg, so if you know very well your exact sizes for whatever items you're buying, the overseas websites can be useful if you suddenly need clothes and can't find smart, cheap things to fit in HK.

Yes, bring your favorite toiletries. Not everything is easily available here (see threads about deodorants, feminine supplies etc). OTC drugs are plentiful and easily available here but way cheaper in US/UK/Oz.
    Last edited by z754103; 08-08-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Flat or fitted sheets work fine regardless of the size... Yes, bring feminine supplies. It's a bit of a pain figuring them out here and then there are some things that are non-existent! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Flat or fitted sheets work fine regardless of the size... Yes, bring feminine supplies. It's a bit of a pain figuring them out here and then there are some things that are non-existent! :/
    +1 on the feminine supplies. The choice here is ... basically non-existent and some supermarkets don't sell tampons at all. Weird local inhibitions I gather.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Weird local inhibitions I gather.
    Dont ask how I know, but I just know : its not actually inhibition but rather mostly about old wives tales and lots of urban legends (think toxic shock and similar)...
    Fiona in HKG and HK_Katherine like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    +1 on the feminine supplies. The choice here is ... basically non-existent and some supermarkets don't sell tampons at all. Weird local inhibitions I gather.
    And local ladies like 'wings'. So if you don't like them...