Like Tree11Likes

Relocating to Hong Kong from Sydney. Is this enough?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    For what it's worth, I live in a 2-bedroom place, which is reasonably spacious for HK, 15-20 minutes walk away from Central - nightlife, shopping, offices, etc. - which I was paying 12k for until early this year. I'm paying more now, but it shouldn't be particularly hard to find a smaller, but still comfortable, place in this sort of area for that sort of budget...
    how many flights of stairs? old Chinese building ? do you have a lift? is it in wanchai, sheung wan/sai ying pun? thx
    Last edited by imparanoic; 25-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    how many flights of stairs? old Chinese building ? do you have a lift? is it in wanchai, sheung wan/sai ying pun? thx
    My place? Modern building, not a walk-up, pretty much on the Sheung Wan/Sai Ying Pun border - I'd say on the Sheung Wan side, but there doesn't seem to be a clear demarkation.

Not sure how it's particularly relevant - what I was saying to the OP was that with a budget of 12k he should be able to find something smaller than here but still reasonable. I wasn't offering my place...
    imparanoic and jkkim1990 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    My place? Modern building, not a walk-up, pretty much on the Sheung Wan/Sai Ying Pun border - I'd say on the Sheung Wan side, but there doesn't seem to be a clear demarkation.

Not sure how it's particularly relevant - what I was saying to the OP was that with a budget of 12k he should be able to find something smaller than here but still reasonable. I wasn't offering my place...
    for 12k (presumably HK$15-16k now), that's decent price

I reckon, if I arrived here originally as a single expat, on such a housing budget constraint, I am pretty sure I would have gone the 1200ft2 live aboard junk ( boat ) in Aberdeen harbour route. Just to be different, while enjoying some semblance of 'reasonable' living space that most in your price range wont enjoy.

The live aboard boat option is what your inner Bohemian is crying out for you to do, if you can cook and play guitar as well, man, you'll be pretty popular with the local ladies .

Example:Centadata - Smithfield Terrace

These are past transactions and they give you an idea (area by area) of what to expect in terms of price.

threelittlepigs likes this.

ATO may be looking at taxing you. I could not get out of their ruling due to my properties. So set aside some of your salary for blood sucking ATO. Factor that into your salary. If ATO does not touch you,then you have saved!

Last edited by blackwings; 27-08-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwings:
    ATO may be looking at taxing you. I could not get out of their ruling due to my properties. So set aside some of your salary for blood sucking ATO. Factor that into your salary. If ATO does not touch you,then you have saved!
    Properties, as in housing properties?

Quote Originally Posted by jkkim1990:
    Properties, as in housing properties?
    Yes. But they said that even if you do not happen to have properties in Australia, your HK salary may still be taxed.
    jkkim1990 likes this.

My family of 3 lived on lot less when I first moved to HK. You will be fine.

Ill second Kennedy Town. You will like it there. Budget is good actually.

jkkim1990 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwings:
    Yes. But they said that even if you do not happen to have properties in Australia, your HK salary may still be taxed.
    hmmm, will definitely try avoiding "bloodsucking" ATO