Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pal

Smile Hong Kong

Good Day everyone.Im actually moving to Hk in Oct 2008 and will be employed to work with Cathay Pacific Airways .Im moving to HK without knowing anything about this place.Can anyone advise me on lifestyle in Hong Kong.I love clubbing and eating chinese food and also playing Golf.Cx is currently giving me a house for 8 years so accomdation wont be any problem.Cx claims that their crew takes home around HK 16000 a month.do u think its enough?Pls advise me on this.Thanks

When you say they are giving you a house, will you be living at Cathay City full time ? Or, are they giving you a housing allowance, and you can find your own place ? I've also heard on the grape vine that CX has a number of long term rented apartments with Sino located at the Gold Coast. Maybe, that's where they will house you..

Also, at $16,000 basic, I assume you will be paid sector pay, and per diem while you are away from base. Depending on how frugal you are, you will end up with more, possibly 20K and a bit, but it will vary from month to month, depending on your roster...

Last edited by Skyhook; 25-08-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Pal

Hk

Thanks for the info.As stated by CX they will be giving a apartment so i would not have to find a place of my own..they said also that 16k is including basic+allowance but as far im concern this is not including meal allowance given whenever u reach yr destination..Is cathay city far frm the airport and the city..any public transport provided?

Quote Originally Posted by Pal
    Thanks for the info.As stated by CX they will be giving a apartment so i would not have to find a place of my own..they said also that 16k is including basic+allowance but as far im concern this is not including meal allowance given whenever u reach yr destination..Is cathay city far frm the airport and the city..any public transport provided?
    Maybe you should be asking the HR department of Cathay some more questions to clarify things. Shouldn't they be telling you all about Cathay City? Cathay City is at the airport.

Where is the apartment they are providing you? Just because they are giving you an apartment, doesn't mean it is a good (or what you want) apartment.

Pal

Hk

I will be signing my contract on 3rd Sep in malaysia.They would provide me with information then..Currently they have just sent me a short summary about my job scope and benefits through email.I just wanted to know about Hk and any additional info if possible to further expand my knowledge.

ummmm, you work in the travel industry, and you know nothing about Hong Kong?

Get out much do you?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I love clubbing and eating chinese food and also playing Golf.
    Plenty of clubs, but accessibility depends on where you live. If it's the Gold Coast, you'll have to take a night bus. But don't fall asleep on it or you'll miss your stop.

Plenty of Chinese food here, although it's called food here.

Plenty of golf courses here. Some crowded public ones and many private clubs here and across the border. You may want to up your salary if you want to enjoy the private ones though. Have you seen the price of debentures? Of course, you might prefer to use the one at the airport.

Nine Eagles
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 26-08-2008 at 10:21 AM.

I will be signing my contract on 3rd Sep in malaysia.They would provide me with information then..Currently they have just sent me a short summary about my job scope and benefits through email.I just wanted to know about Hk and any additional info if possible to further expand my knowledge.
    My point being that you should ask your HR Department questions before you sign your contract. You should know exactly where your housing will be (shared? how far from clubs? cost of travel?) and what benefits you will get from CX regarding travel, etc. You might not be in a position to negotiate, but you should know exactly what you are getting yourself into when you sign.

You will love Hong Kong, it is a great place, but it can get expensive if you are not careful. Hong Kong has plenty of public transport which is very efficient and cheap (except the Hong Kong Airport Express). You can get cheaper buses from the Airport to other parts of Hong Kong. As well as using Google Earth/Maps, you can use the following for transport and pricing:
    https://www.nwstbus.com.hk/home/defa...section=&page=
    YPMap
    MTR

Good Luck and Welcome to Hong Kong

Pal

Hk

Thanks everyone for the help..

My friend also living in Gold Coast, it is really a nice place for foreigners as it is not crowded compared to the center. But if liket clubbing, it is a bit far away from Central or Wanchai.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast