Like Tree12Likes

Mid-lvls? DB or...?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mid-Levels is some peoples idea of a hip and connected heaven, to others it is a densely packed housing estate close to the office.

Discovery Bay is perfect for those that want an uncomplicated life and are happy with routine others think it is Nice from far but far from nice, safe, dependable and dull.

Plus one for Kowloon Tong / Beacon Hill. Lower density, close to schools and a 15 minute drive to Elements.

View from Beacon Hill flats

Last edited by East_coast; 07-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    sham tseng is not very accessible place, few bus, fewer expats,not too bad by car though

That's incorrect. I have lvied near the GoldCost (3years) and near ST(3 years) and in terms of transport ST beats GoldCost.

Firstly it's quicker to central than GC by a good 15mn/20mn
    Secondly it's quick to Tseun Wan MTR if you need to get on the MTR
    Thirdly 52X bus get you to Mei Foo in about 20mn if you need to go anywhere around Kowloon/Mongkok

It's got less expats although this is changning too with the recent devleoppment of low rise building and houses complex.

EDIT: I am not telling the OP to move there, I am just correcting a small inaccuracy here.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

If I were the OP'd look at Kowloon Tong and or the ICC area itself.

def look at kowloon tong and ICC itself.

I would also suggest park island actually since you can be in ICC pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    def look at kowloon tong and ICC itself.

I would also suggest park island actually since you can be in ICC pretty quick
    OP has expressed a strong desire for a garden to have barbies and let the kids run around - presumably without having to go down to podium level soft fall surfaces staring at the 'keep off the grass' signs on the square inch of grass there. I suspect Kowloon Tong is too pricey for that, and ICC is high rise.

It is a tricky decision on where to live, because schools will to a large extent dictate it. I know many do it, but I couldn't subject a young child to a long commute to get to school, so I would be guided by what school had a place.

But if OP found a school on the Eastern side, then I do think Clearwater Bay is a good location. With the beaches, good transport links at hang Hau, excellent leisure facilities in Tseung Kwan O, and a decent sized expat community it makes a good fit. Going shopping at the small supermarket near Silverstrand you could be forgiven for thinking you were back home with the number of of expats about. 40k there would get a couple of floors of a decent house.

You might want to look at Nord Anglia school OP, new school on the Eastern side, although they do have a small debenture from memory.

As for locating right in an expat enclave, apart from out of budget gated communities or Discovery Bay, you may not get quite that feeling. But expats tend to congregate in limited locales, and they aren't hard to find. Plus meetup.com is an excellent way to find new friends.

About having a car, we've been living without for some time but are considering it now for convenience if necessary. Any concerns about parking in ICC/Elements area? Living in NY, it wasn't worth it to own one. (Thanks guys for cluing me about the proper name for that Kowloon area). Also, we're a little bit apprehensive about driving in Asian country + on left hand side with two kiddos...

Original Post Deleted
    Each to his / her own, but I don't consider hauling kids and gear down in a lift to play on the same equipment as is in every park in the world these days to be good access to outdoor space. Plenty of village houses with decent sized gardens in the OPs price range, I was at one today with 1,000 sq ft garden in her price range.

With kids that age, the ability to open the doors, have them run around like crazy as you can carry on doing things while being with them is priceless to me. With OPs mention of Montessori or Reggio Emilo schools it is reasonable to say she has a more free-play ethos, which a village house garden is more conducive to, in my humble opinion.

I have lived in both high-rise and village houses, and for me I get more community feel in the village. It was a positive choice to go for a village house this time with a child involved. I'm sure there are parents who feel the opposite, OP will be living in one or the other so good she knows the pluses and minuses of both.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 07-11-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Driving in HK is OK. Not as bad as mainland even though there is the learning curve for the other side of the road. I enjoy having the car though it is a bit of a luxury and not necessary it does make things a bit more accessible especially with a little one like DeletedUser says.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshines2:
    About having a car, we've been living without for some time but are considering it now for convenience if necessary. Any concerns about parking in ICC/Elements area? Living in NY, it wasn't worth it to own one. (Thanks guys for cluing me about the proper name for that Kowloon area). Also, we're a little bit apprehensive about driving in Asian country + on left hand side with two kiddos...
    Check whether he can get a parking spot through his employer. Often, a big (heavyweight) office renter has some reserved places.

Good to know about the car...any thoughts on parking in ICC area...is it going to cost a small (or lg) arm and leg?