Like Tree3Likes

[MOVING SOON] - Salary/Living cost inquiry :)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Armahir:
    @jmbf : was planning for 20K rent. Your advise sounds fair and I'll see how it goes but it looks [from what I've seen over the web] that 15k is kinda low and, therefore, rare. Do you confirm?
    Yes realistically to get a decent place close to your work you will have to spend a bit more. I was just thinking it makes more sense to have a target of 15K and that way even if you spend a bit more it will still (hopefully) be less than 20K. Rather than aiming at 20K and possibly spending even more.

Additionally, if you widen your scope to Kowloon then plenty of decent sub 20K places are available.

@Claire : That's more like it

I get it now. And you're right : an expat ghetto is definetly not where I wanna live.
    From my point of view, going abroad is about diving into another culture not trying to stay at home surrounded by people you will still call "strangers" after a couple of years. Making the new place home, that's the goal.

Also you're right anyway, I'll have one month to find the place I wanna stay in.
    @jmbf : o'righty! That's helpfull.

Quick question about transportations :

• reliable?
    • Cheap (or not)?
    • What about the bus or tramway? I feel like not having a subway around may be a bit festive, espcially when I think about waiting a bus during the heavy rain.

What's your opinion on that?

Cheers.
    Armahir
    Last edited by Armahir; 02-12-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: New post by jmbf

Quick question about transportations :
    • reliable?
    • Cheap (or not)?
    • What about the bus or tramway? I feel like not having a subway around may be a bit festive, espcially when I think about waiting a bus during the heavy rain.

What's your opinion on that?

Cheers.
    Armahir
    In general the public transport is very good.

Pros : Cheap, reliable and with an extensive network
    Cons : Can be crazily crowded during rush hour, traffic can be an issue as well.

My advice, aim to be near an MTR station, at least for your first place. Once you get to know your way around a bit then you can explore other options.

Sweet advice, and duly noted. Thank you.
    When you talk about MTR...you mean the subway right? [not yet accustomed to terms].

Yes - MTR is the name of the subway here.

MTR > Home

@Claire : that's not really helping ---- When you speak about 15K pm...you're talking about the rent right?
    Believe me, it was. Its impossible to describe the differences between some HK neighbourhoods to a person who has never been here. Try doing it yourself after you arrive and you'll get some idea... but DB in particular is very "different" to much of the rest of HK and some people love it and others hate it with a passion.

You have been given good advice to come and look first. It's really important. I would take that advice. You can't research HK neighbourhoods from a computer in Paris.

Hi Armahir, a warm welcome to your soon to be arrival!

I would suggest to stay at a serviced apartment for the first couple of weeks and travel to the places you have in mind to experience how it is in person.

Personally this is my view on the places you have mentioned:

Discovery Bay
    - You will have to strongly rely on the ferry and don't forget to factor in the costs that are involved in every ferry ride. I believe it is HK$40 for a single ride and residents can get a small discount.
    - Its base consists of a large expat community, not much local life there as it is very westernized. You mentioned that you would like to experience a different culture and local life, I reckon that is not the place to be.
    - You will get a larger sized apartment, you will be surrounded by nice greenery and you will be close to a beach.
    - Also there is basically one supermarket where you can buy your groceries.

Aberdeen
    - Very local. Not much of an expat community there and communicating with the locals might be a challenge.
    - It is easy to travel from there to Lamma Island (ferry) and to Happy Valley, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay (bus).
    - The fishermen canteen at the fishing market used to be open for public to enjoy their fresh seafood, but has recently been shut down. The canteen that is.
    - A bit dull as there seems not to be much of nightlife and bars where you might want to hang out occasionally for a drink.

Kennedy Town
    - A really nice mix of local and expats. The local crowd seems to be consisting of local residents who have been living here for some time and the western crowd are young professionals and young families.
    - Western and local shops and restaurants all mingled together into a melting pot of cultures.
    - Very convenient public transport system, many busses and minibusses to all directions and the MTR is scheduled to be operating on December 28, which will make it all more convenient to travel to Central and beyond
    - Really good starting point for a regular weekend hike to the Peak.

If you would like to know more, feel free to PM me

Good luck!

W00T!
    @Maryknoll : That's freaking good to read - Thanks a lot! I will most likely PM you.
    @HK_Katherine : I understood the meaning of "Come and see for yourself" but the point of asking things on a forum is precisly to take informations before arriving and diving into it.

I will anyway have one month on site to decide where I wanna live, guess it's enough to find the right place

================================

Questions about bails : I know you have to pay 3 rent month when you sign it but what about the contract duration? Is it variable depending on the agency you face or is it mandatory for you to stay something like...a year in same flat [else : paying penalty]?

Maryknoll likes this.

contract terms vary and you should read the details, but a common form is a 2 year contract with a possibility to break after 13 months.

do you like the party life, ie, lan kwai fong, if yes, stay close to hk island as possible, but you will be compromising on space, ie, probably get 1.5 times for space in Kowloon than hk island, probably 2-2.5 times if in nt compared to hk island