Wine Importer -> Go to Shenzhen or Set Up in HK?

Closed Thread

Wine Importer -> Go to Shenzhen or Set Up in HK?

Hello,

My partner and I run an import/export business based in Italy. We are looking to set up operations in China but unsure whether to incorporate in HK or to set up a WFOE in Shenzhen. Can anybody make recommendations?

We export Italian wine, oils, and food-products like prosciutto. We will be selling to Chinese companies primarily. Any help would be appreciated. It would help us simplify our visa process as well.

Thank you.

it is complicated to do it in shenzhen so you better start from HK

Talk to the Italian Chamber or to the Trade attache's at your consulate - food is quite tricky when it comes to cross border trade.

Most food importers have China based offices for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:
    it is complicated to do it in shenzhen so you better start from HK
    I'm beginning to come around to this idea too. It's not only cheaper in HK, but we can start our agency there relatively quicker than in China.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Talk to the Italian Chamber or to the Trade attache's at your consulate - food is quite tricky when it comes to cross border trade.

Most food importers have China based offices for various reasons.
    This is good advice. We are not currently members of any Chambers in China yet, but I forgot about reaching out to the trade department at the consulate here.

Is it possible to trade with China without having to set up offices there?

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianImports:
    In general the answer is yes.
    However, I have a couple of associates that are in the F&B business and they all seem to have a small presence in China. I dont know the full details but when I previously asked them they said it was necessary for doing business inside China.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianImports:
    I'm beginning to come around to this idea too. It's not only cheaper in HK, but we can start our agency there relatively quicker than in China.

This is good advice. We are not currently members of any Chambers in China yet, but I forgot about reaching out to the trade department at the consulate here.

You may seek advice from HK Trade Development Council and Invest HK for both setting a business here and doing businesses with China