Working in Kwun Tong - Where to live ?

Closed Thread

Working in Kwun Tong - Where to live ?

Hi everybody,
    Me, my wife and our one and a half y.o son will be moving in Feb. to HK
    My workplace is in Kwun Tong but I prefer to live someplace nicer, "child friendly" and not too remote from the city OR from the work place (lets say up to 40 min. by public transpiration). Best is a 3-4 bedrooms apartment, prefer not in Kowloon.
    I was thinking of Mid-Levels but got confused with all the other possibilities....Our budget is around 40,000 HKD monthly or below. As someone mentioned here before our party days in LKF are behind us But we do love the city life.

Does Quarry Bay area have decent places to rent...? I also got a very good recommendations on Discovery Bay, but it seems very very far - more then 45 min. on MTR, is it ?

Please help !

Clearwater bay pops in my head. We live in Quarry bay and like it very much. More local then expat mind you.
    Also more options on kindies in the area (enroll asap). But in the end it's what you and the mrs. prefer. That is only to be decided when u come here and feel the area.
    good luck on the move

I used to live in Discovery Bay AND I used to work in Kwun Tong (Ngau Tau Kok). Yes the commute is a killer, easily more than 45 minutes; whether you take the bus to Tung Chung and change twice to the red then the green lines, or take a ferry to central pier then red to green. Changing at Mong Kok or Prince Edward is especially annoying at rush hour.

What is good about Discovery Bay is what is bad about it. It's a fairly insular community and some consider it very square - meaning boring rather than in a geometric sense. Some people find the dinky (and very expensive) golf-cart transport system stupid, some like the zero-congestion consequence.

Equally, it's very expatriate friendly, both in amenities and atmosphere. It's pretty much as close as you'll get for a 'suburban' experience for your child growing up as you can in Hong Kong, especially if you want them to experience a 'normal' childhood, like learning to ride a bike &c. I know a lot of people that took the hit socially and commute-wise and moved from Mid-Levels, Happy Valley &c. so their kids could grow up in DB.

Having said the commute sucks, the flipside is that it's 25 minutes to Central from the DB pier (and unless you especially dislike being on a boat, the ferry ride is very pleasant). On weekends it was a real pleasure in the very sedate (and lovely in summer) DB, and being able to get right into the city at will.

Best of luck with your decision making.

u can get massive place 30 min on public transport from Kwun Tong -look around clearwater bay - 1400 sq feet and roof or garden seems doable? maybe even whole house in some village.

if u do want to party - late night cab home only 30 mins...

fresher air out here

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:

fresher air out here
    Definitely a huge issue here, especially if you plan to raise kids in HK. I'd also recommend Discovery Bay for that reason only

Ignore anyone who tells you you can get get fresh air anywhere in HK. With the exception of traffic fumes (which require living right on top of a main road anyway) the air is much the same everywhere.

Have you been here? Come and see. If you are not into "party life" there is no reason to live in Mid Levels - you will end up in a small cramped place for that budget, which is a fortune in most other areas. Have you fixed up schools yet? Getting a school is the first task, finding somewhere to live close by a distant second. Given that, try Kowloon Tong - its a place with many schools and good quality places to live, sort of like "midlevels for kowloon". Not the cheapest place, but sounds like the kind of thing you are looking for.

Otherwise the excellent suggestions for clearwater bay if you are more of a rural person.

Disagree a bit on the air- we live around 200 meters above sea level - surrounded by forests- which as we know create oxygen.

Think I read that the fumes from vehicles are denser and so tend to gather in low lying areas?

But anyway children like green surroundings and quieter surroundings...

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks