Like Tree27Likes

5 days in HK - must dos!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1) For food add openrice app to your phone but make sure you take a pic of all the dishes as they arrive
    2) Clothes - TST is fine
    3) Grocery shopping - spend 4 days looking for a certain conditioner for your washing machine that your mum used to use or just use a local premium brand
    4) Get into the country

5) As your in Wanchai - grab a bottle and head to the public space above Wooloomooloo

Last edited by East_coast; 09-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.

An absolute MUST:

Go to any sweet shop and order 杨枝甘露!

I would not use the trip for "fun" to be honest because there are useful things you can do with your time that will help you later.
    As noted previously:
    1. Visit supermarkets and highlight what's not available (or what's available but very expensive)
    2. Visit clothes stores and see if they sell clothes and shoes in your size
    3. Take a look around the area you want to live in/view a few apartments (if not done already) to get a feel for the general size/quality of HK accomodation

All of the above will help you decide what to bring; what to shop for and bring; where to live and what to expect when you arrive.

You can do the fun stuff when you move. You'll need something to cheer you up in the first few months which are the hardest for a new expat.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    1. Visit supermarkets and highlight what's not available (or what's available but very expensive)

Or what the local / Aussie / USA / UK equivalent that they do stock is.

I'll be going around with a real estate agent and a relocation consultant while husband is at work, so that will cover looking at housing. That's why I'm looking for suggestions on fun and more "real" HK things. I know these agencies will take me on an expat tour only

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I'll be going around with a real estate agent and a relocation consultant while husband is at work, so that will cover looking at housing. That's why I'm looking for suggestions on fun and more "real" HK things. I know these agencies will take me on an expat tour only
    If you want sensibly priced accommodation you may need to ditch the agents provided by your work and go for a normal one.

Yeah we are struggling to explain to them that we want something under the housing budget the company has suggested. We don't get the money, it's that scheme where it reduces the tax liability. So we want to keep costs reasonable. Problem is the company will pay all agency fees but only with the selected agent.

As suggested by many others, look in the local supermarkets and find nearby wet markets to gauge what you can get here. If you decide on living in a more 'expat' area, research what shops are in the area if you have dietary needs and/or preference.

Be firm with the agents, don't be afraid to say no.

Yeah we are struggling to explain to them that we want something under the housing budget the company has suggested. We don't get the money, it's that scheme where it reduces the tax liability. So we want to keep costs reasonable. Problem is the company will pay all agency fees but only with the selected agent.
    One agent will only show you what's on their books which is a tiny fractions of the total available. Cost of agent is half month rent- you can save that back v quickly with a cheaper place.

My advise is, once u found a district u see urself live in, walk into the local offices of real estate agents (they are really everywhere). Tell them Ur budget minus 25% (they will try exceed always). Tell them what u want (recently renovated or not, clubhouse, pool, children playroom). And let them show u around.
    Do this after Uve seen places with the agent from work. This way u have a frame of reference.

thru my wife, we also had an agent. He showed us places which later we found out, were smaller and more expensive then places we sought thru Joe from the office down the street.

Do ur own research just to be sure.
    Also, Joe from the local office will ask u to sign stuff. DONT! Ur not required nor will him stop them from doing work. If he refuses, go to the office next door.