Like Tree14Likes

What job options do I have in HK as a US police officer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What job options do I have in HK as a US police officer?

Hi, I'm a police detective working in California. I really would like to move to HK after having vacationed there several times with my family. I've traveled to many countries and cities and always think of HK as one of the few places I could live and work in.

Being a detective, I have a background in criminal investigations, court testimony, and general police/detective work. I have worked for my police department for 15 years and feel a need to start something new. I need some ideas as to what my skills as a detective/police officer can transfer to in a corporate world.

Thanks

Open a doughnut shop?

jimbo, Mat and penguinator like this.

AVSECO run security at Hong Kong airport . They are always hiring and have expats on staff .they would be a possible .
    you could also try airport authority who run the airport also have expats on staff .
    I have seen expat security on some large listed company staff : once saw Stanley Ho and his eye candy in happy valley with a whole pile of minders

imparanoic and supperdupper like this.

I thought there were a few non-canto speaking police officers at the higher levels? Or is that a thing of the past? If you are a serving officer, your best bet is probably to find a way through your networks to someone in the HK police force and ask them if there are any openings. Anything else would be MUCH more limited and likely lower pay. Huge number of "security guards" here at every complex, but they are little more than doormen (unsurprising given the generally very low level of crime!).

I thought there were a few non-canto speaking police officers at the higher levels?
    No longer. They've been assimilated.

Best bets are in the private sector security work. I've seen Stanley Ho's family, Li Ka Shing's family all protected expat security.

Airport has a few of them too.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    No longer. They've been assimilated.

Best bets are in the private sector security work. I've seen Stanley Ho's family, Li Ka Shing's family all protected expat security.

Airport has a few of them too.
    Often see earwigs (private security) in CitySuper et al. And 95% of them are gweilos.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I thought there were a few non-canto speaking police officers at the higher levels? Or is that a thing of the past? If you are a serving officer, your best bet is probably to find a way through your networks to someone in the HK police force and ask them if there are any openings.
    Without being able to read and write Chinese and speak Canto there is no chance.

If you're good at firing pepper spray at kids faces then the HK police would love to have you on board

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Without being able to read and write Chinese and speak Canto there is no chance.
    There's also the matter of:

You must be a permanent resident of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and have lived in Hong Kong for at least seven years.
    jaykay likes this.

Try the global security firms that do private work like providing bodyguards or security packages. Also plpl like Kroll.
    U will need to pass an exam that includes written Chinese for the hkpf . n the bar is q high for that.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast