Like Tree20Likes

Planning a move...so many questions!

Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Yeah thats one of the reason I moved away from London too, the Winter is terrible. Here it's fine the coldest it gets is around 10 degrees but that's ok really.

    One thing though, when it rains during the monsoon you won't be able to do much outside, cause it rains like crazy. But you can always sip a beer in a bar and watch the rain haha
    UK, winter is relatively mild considering it's latitude due to the warm gulf stream, if there was no gulf stream, imagine temperature on average at minus 10 like in Canada and Germany

    though the flip side, the warm gulf stream makes uk weather, cloudy grey and dull 300 days per year!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    UK, winter is relatively mild considering it's latitude due to the warm gulf stream, if there was no gulf stream, imagine temperature on average at minus 10 like in Canada and Germany

    though the flip side, the warm gulf stream makes uk weather, cloudy grey and dull 300 days per year!
    I remember in July in London summer 2012 - the weather was atrocious, like 12 degrees rainy cold, thats when I decided I wanted to get out!

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Yeah thats one of the reason I moved away from London too, the Winter is terrible. Here it's fine the coldest it gets is around 10 degrees but that's ok really.

    One thing though, when it rains during the monsoon you won't be able to do much outside, cause it rains like crazy. But you can always sip a beer in a bar and watch the rain haha
    Given how hot it gets in the summer, 10 degrees for a month or two is probably a welcome relief!

    Bristol is a fantastic place to be in the summer, but for the cold, dark months...meh.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,128

    Recommend you spend some time over here (perhaps before your interviews) to really get a feel for the place.

    HK2b likes this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,000

    My gut feel is that HK will be a disaster for you. Sorry.

    You say you don;t like London, yet, imho, many aspects of living in HK parallel large cities like London.
    You say you are poor with money - HK is a place where money is easier to spend than water.
    You don't say you have a job lined up - headhunting jobs here are terrible. Mainly commission based, cutthroat, soul destroying work. You may hate your job and you may not have any certainty of income levels.
    You say nothing about being able to get a visa - you need to have a skill that locals do not have - do you?
    You are looking for a "comfortable life" yet want to save, on salary expectation that make that pretty much impossible.

    Yes, I do think you are crazy. I love living in HK, and you may too, but based on the information you provided, no.

    East_coast and bibbju like this.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,055
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My gut feel is that HK will be a disaster for you. Sorry.

    You say you don;t like London, yet, imho, many aspects of living in HK parallel large cities like London.
    You say you are poor with money - HK is a place where money is easier to spend than water.
    You don't say you have a job lined up - headhunting jobs here are terrible. Mainly commission based, cutthroat, soul destroying work. You may hate your job and you may not have any certainty of income levels.
    You say nothing about being able to get a visa - you need to have a skill that locals do not have - do you?
    You are looking for a "comfortable life" yet want to save, on salary expectation that make that pretty much impossible.

    Yes, I do think you are crazy. I love living in HK, and you may too, but based on the information you provided, no.
    If putting on 20lbs and spending every penny on 'fun' and then heading back to a sleepy European town in 9 months a disaster then you could be right.

    Not having a work visa seems to be the key stumbling block.
    HK2b likes this.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You are looking for a "comfortable life" yet want to save, on salary expectation that make that pretty much impossible.
    I'm with you for most of the points in your post Katherine, except for savings expectations. If (and it's a big if) his salary expectations are accurate, 480 - 550K basic salary plus at least 600K bonus on top, for a relatively young single guy, he should be able to live 'comfortably' and yet still have room for significant savings.
    HK2b likes this.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    I'm with you for most of the points in your post Katherine, except for savings expectations. If (and it's a big if) his salary expectations are accurate, 480 - 550K basic salary plus at least 600K bonus on top, for a relatively young single guy, he should be able to live 'comfortably' and yet still have room for significant savings.
    Isn't a bonus dependent on company and personal performance? It would really be an estimate at this point?


    Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My gut feel is that HK will be a disaster for you. Sorry.

    You say you don;t like London, yet, imho, many aspects of living in HK parallel large cities like London.
    I don't like London because it's a miserable place, not because there are lots of people there. Everyone is so spread out it's an expedition just to see your friends. It takes forever to get anywhere, and costs a fortune to do it. 90% of the city is run down and depressing. Even the nice areas aren't particularly nice.

    It's supposed to be a place full of convenience and possibilities, but in reality it's anything but. In Bristol I can walk five minutes up the road and find a whole street full of bars and clubs open until 6 or 7 in the morning. Go out in the West End and all the pubs shut at 11, and the only other places to go are a few clubs rammed wall-to-wall with people and which you probably needed to book in advance to get into anyway. Then it's a loooong way to go home afterwards, and the tube shuts at midnight.

    And if you want to escape the city there's nothing even remotely near London that's worth escaping to anyway. Just miles and miles and miles of soulless commuter towns.

    I'm sure someone who lived in London as an expat will naturally have a different view, but I grew up there in the suburbs. Other cities in the UK offer pretty much everything that London does, and usually more if you like having the countryside and good driving roads nearby, but with none of the downsides. I'd take Manchester or Glasgow over London any day.

    I might be completely wrong but Hong Kong looks a whole lot more convenient and connected than London, with easy access to nature and a better lifestyle.

    You say you are poor with money - HK is a place where money is easier to spend than water.
    No doubt. That's true of Bristol too, though. Everything here is just as expensive as London nowadays, except rent...and it's hedonism central.

    You don't say you have a job lined up - headhunting jobs here are terrible. Mainly commission based, cutthroat, soul destroying work. You may hate your job and you may not have any certainty of income levels.
    You say nothing about being able to get a visa - you need to have a skill that locals do not have - do you?
    I've been doing headhunting work here for six years and telesales for four years before that. What would make it any different in Hong Kong? I gather that performance expectations are typically higher than in the UK but this is the wrong line of work to be mediocre at, anyway. I'm good at what I do, and I really enjoy it - most of the time.

    I'm talking to companies that almost always hire expats and are happy to provide sponsorship. Mostly UK/Australian owned. I get the impression it's not an issue; am I likely to go through the whole process and then find the visa application declined?

    You are looking for a "comfortable life" yet want to save, on salary expectation that make that pretty much impossible.
    Does that range of basic salary not provide a comfortable living? I wouldn't plan to save that, just any commission I earn.


    Quote Originally Posted by giginium:
    Isn't a bonus dependent on company and personal performance? It would really be an estimate at this point?
    Yeah, based on personal performance. But...based on one company I've spoken to, £25k average fee, 25% commission, a local market where I can easily go and meet everyone face to face (which I can't do at the moment). Where the entire market has already been mapped out by the research team and just needs someone to come in and run it. That's only one placement every six weeks to earn 600,000HKD commission per year. That I would consider a pretty low performance under the circumstances, after the first year at least.
    Last edited by HK2b; 28-02-2015 at 02:30 AM.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,701

    I don't know if I'm missing something here, but on the flat question - I'm paying less than $16k per month for a place which is bigger than 500 sqf, less than 15 minutes walk from Soho, less than 20 from LKF, and less than 5 from the nearest MTR exit, if they ever open the thing...

    On the other things, I'd suggest very strongly making an effort to visit first, see the place, try to do a bit of networking. It's a long way from anything in the UK, in many ways!


Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast