English widely spoken in ShaTin or Sai Kung?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i have a friend that comutes to SZ almost everyday from Sai Sha Road. It takes him over 1.5-2 hours...each way!

Quote Originally Posted by thursday:
    Saikung is way too busy. If you have to do it, try Clearwater Bay. Drive to Hang Hau, park and rail yourself to Shenzhen.
    Umm I don't know if anybody told you Thursday, but Clearwater bay is in the Sai Kung District !

So is Pak Tam, Hebe Haven, Tai Mong Tsai, etc etc etc etc... Having lived in the Sai Kung district for a few years myself, I can assure you for the exception of Sai Kung Town, at between mid day and 7ish Sunday night, its hardly ( crowded ) busy. During the week its quiet, when we usually did our shopping, and as we lived out of the SK town, like majority of people living there, about 5 - 8 minutes drive away, it was typically rural quiet, apart from the odd barking dog, and street racer convoy at 4am. Again, usually on Sunday.

Info that will assist the original poster, below, based on my own experience living there.

A Taxi ride ( $90.00 from Tai Mong Tsai), or wife driving hubby to University KCRC / MTR Station, both would be 20 - 25minute drive. From there its only 5 train stops, or about 15 - 20 minutes commute to Lo Wu ( across the border ) plus crossing time between HK and mainland china border control, that part will vary, depending on queue lengths. Between 10minutes - 30 minutes..

And that's about it. Not so bad really, providing you taxi or drive to university station.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-09-2008 at 10:57 PM.

forgot to say that my friend does it via public transport NOT driving.

Quote Originally Posted by thursday:
    Saikung is way too busy. If you have to do it, try Clearwater Bay. Drive to Hang Hau, park and rail yourself to Shenzhen.
    Consider catching a cross boarder bus via Lok Ma Chau/HuangGang.

Sham Tseng to Tsuen Wan via minibus 15 minutes (HK5) [or Taxi 10 minutes (HK50)]

Tsuen Wan to to boarder 30-minutes (HKD38).

Boarder crossing customs HK and CHN 15 minutes

From Boarder to DeWang in Shenzhen 10 minutes by taxi (RMB23)

Total travel time: approx 1 hr 10 minutes

There are minibuses that run regularly from some of the Sai Sha Road villages to University KCR which would be a lot cheaper than taxis. The bus routes tend to be all along Ma On Shan to Tseng Tau Village, and one runs up to Sui Long Wo but it's only every half hour.

However, whether the original poster would like to live in a village would be a different story.