Like Tree67Likes

90k enough for a family of three?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nickdiba:
    Thanks Mat, I'll be working as IT support in the financial services business, 14 years experience with the firm i'm negotiating the move.
    I have worked in multiple countries so i have no commitment back home such mortgages etc.
    Initially we wont need an helper, my wife wont be working at least until she gets more fluent en english. My main concern is the school for my kid and being able to travel back home once a year to italy where i am from and to brazil where my wife is from and where we currently live.

OK, you sound like a down to earth fella and salary for your experience and field sounds abt right.

Suggest you sort out the school as some have said and then you will see.

Don't be stuck on the idea that you have to be on the island tho (even if you work on the island) - sometimes (not always) it can be a good thing to live on Kowloon or NT. Not all HK island accomodation cost 30K but it is definitely more expensive than most places on Kowloon and NT (not all tho).

But first yes, take a look at the schools.
    shri likes this.

Nope, no debenture available. I wonder if you need to go on an international school waiting list due lack of vacancies what are the options ? Sending my son to a local school? Would it be recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by nickdiba:
    Nope, no debenture available. I wonder if you need to go on an international school waiting list due lack of vacancies what are the options ? Sending my son to a local school? Would it be recommended?
    I recommend you discuss with your HR (much better than on these boards). They must have employees in similar situation as yours.

Else take a look at Geoschools.

Overall the International Schools are very expensive and over subscribed BUT there are alternatives - you should really contact your HR on this (and make them very aware that this is a major concern for you - education -unless in a local school;- can cost an arm and a leg in HK (it is free in most local schools but language is a barrier of course))
    Last edited by Mat; 31-03-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Lifestyle requirements will play a large role in how happy you will be here on 90K / month. Have you been to HK before? Highly recommend you do a scouting trip here if possible.

Also, as others have mentioned - sort out the schooling issue first.

$10K-$15K per month for a decent international school, $30k per month if you insist to live on the island. Those will be your 2 biggest expenses, leaving you with $45k for everything else. That's perfectly doable and I think comfortable by most people's standards. Of course you will have some knuckleheads come on here and say its not enough but I think generally fine.

But your biggest concern with a 7yo is actually finding a vacancy in a school. People leave HK all time time and people change their mind about moving to HK all the time because international school places are so limited and it's such a hassle to have to deal with. I think if your kid was older would be easier and more places tend to open up in secondary, but at around 5-8 years old is the hardest and longest waiting lists.

So your priority should be finding a vacancy in a school.

bookblogger likes this.

Copied from an earlier thread and modified a bit for your reference:

30K Rent
    15K Education
    5K Food
    1.5K MPF
    3K Transport
    5K Health/Clothes/Entertainment
    8K Trips
    1K Internet / Phone / TV
    2K Utilities

Add to that something for taxes as well.

Yes local schools are an option. Some have English streams. There is one in Sai Kung for example that another poster on here sends her kids to. The culture will be different obviously but your child will get to meet more locals and may pick up some Chinese too. Geoschools will have more info.

Got 3 kids, living in the NT, salary 35k, wife not working, rent 15k, kids going to local school, going for drinks once a month 1k, gym/other sports 1k, food 3k, transport 1.5k, others 3k and living very comfortably... so 90k per month...

kevbryan27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyPedro:
    Got 3 kids, living in the NT, salary 35k, wife not working, rent 15k, kids going to local school, going for drinks once a month 1k, gym/other sports 1k, food 3k, transport 1.5k, others 3k and living very comfortably... so 90k per month...
    Again, its down to lifestyle choice. If you are prepared to live like local then yes you can live quite cheaply. But the cost of living escalates quickly if you try to emulate a fully 'western' lifestyle here.

It's doable. Sort out schooling first, then look at the rest. School takes priority over where you live, not the other way around. Can your kid get a spot at an international school even if you can afford it? The competition seems fierce. That's the biggest challenge that's actually not only driving expats away from HK but also keeping them from moving to HK. Just this year I've had 2 talented guys in my team leave HK so their kids could go to school back home (Aus & UK).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast