Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By giginium
  • 4 Post By bibbju
  • 1 Post By DavidTC

Advice please I have the chance to move to Hong Kong but I'm not sure if it would be the right fit for me.

Closed Thread

Advice please I have the chance to move to Hong Kong but I'm not sure if it would be the right fit for me.

Hi all

Here's a quick bit of background info
    28 year old Australian who has been dating a hong Kong girl for 4 years in Australia she has had to move back to hong Kong for family reasons so now I'm looking into moving to hong Kong to be with her.

We own an apartment in yuen long and since her return to hong Kong in January she has landed a good job.

My issue is I have a great job in Australia that I have worked hard for over the last ten years.

She will be able to come back to Australia later on this year but I'm wondering if I should give living in hong Kong a go, and see if I like it. She has asked if I would like to try living their for a few years.

My main questions would be
    Is hong Kong a good place to live and start a family
    Would it be had for a native English speaker to get a reasonable job in either sales or manufacturing management
    Is life hard in hong Kong for non Cantonese speakers

I think in a way a few years living overseas would be great, I'm just scared of throwing a good career in Australia away.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Is hong Kong a good place to live and start a family
    I would say no, when you look at local education system, the cost of the international school system, and the general size of flats and environment for young kids.

Would it be had for a native English speaker to get a reasonable job in either sales or manufacturing management
    Could be quite hard, unless you speak Mandarin.

Is life hard in hong Kong for non Cantonese speakers
    No, very easy to get by with minimal Cantonese.

I would say come to Hong Kong for an extended holiday (can you take a 2-3 months unpaid leave?) and see how you like it.
    ray98, Rob2020 and Natfixit like this.

Thanks drumbrake

I've been thinking about trying 6 weeks in hong Kong at Christmas this year that's the earliest I can get extended leave I'm of for 2 weeks in may and 2 weeks In October as well, I think I'm really stressed about finding a good job its not really income that I'm looking for its more management and leadership roles I don't think teaching English would be challenging enough for me. So I'm worried about making a life changing move and being unhappy each day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisaus:
    Thanks drumbrake

I've been thinking about trying 6 weeks in hong Kong at Christmas this year that's the earliest I can get extended leave I'm of for 2 weeks in may and 2 weeks In October as well, I think I'm really stressed about finding a good job its not really income that I'm looking for its more management and leadership roles I don't think teaching English would be challenging enough for me. So I'm worried about making a life changing move and being unhappy each day at work.
    Regardless of whatever experience and expectations that you have, there will be a period of adjustment. There will be frustrations and "unhappy" moments.

Hk is a very fast pace city with long working hours. There are expectations on being highly productive and results-driven. There is a lot of pressure.

Also have a think on the specific skills that you can bring to hk that could not be covered by locals.

If you are going to live in tuen long,
    Be prepared to commute for lengthy periods.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    vanilla rice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by giginium:
    If you are going to live in tuen long,
    Be prepared to commute for lengthy periods.
    Why a long commute? If he travels by West Rail he will be within 30 mins in TST and 35 mins in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by giginium:
    Hk is a very fast pace city with long working hours. There are expectations on being highly productive and results-driven. There is a lot of pressure.
    This really depends on what you're used to, which company you work/industry you're in and/or what your colleagues are like.

I don't know any expats/Westerners who would describe HK as fast paced. The people I know fall around laughing when someone says that. By comparison, all the HKers I know think HK is fast. I guess it depends on what you're used to.

I attended a half-day course on "Cultural Awareness" run by my former employer (well known global bank with a very large presence in HK). I was one of 2 gweilos, everyone else (approx 20) were local HKers. We were asked to describe HK in 3 words. Every single HKer used "fast". It was somewhat uncomfortable when it got to me and the other gweilo and we both said "slow". It did make for an interesting course discussion though!

I would also debate (okay, disagree with!) "results driven" and "highly productive". My working experience in HK was the exact opposite!!

Working hours are generally long but there appears to be no concept of "working smart" making the long hours unproductive with very little achieved at the end of a very long day. With no interest in delivering results whatsoever (Anyone who was results orientated was generally viewed as a troublemaker by the locals so the knives were soon out).
    Last edited by bibbju; 07-04-2015 at 06:09 AM.

"Sales and manufacturing management"

This place ain't about that.

You'll actually be taking a vast dip in quality of life if you move here.

This is a rat race and we're all rats (whoever wins)

TheBrit likes this.