Like Tree30Likes

Doable on Tung Chung?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I don't fault you for wanting to spend time with your child - especially at this age. The time is unique and you'll never get it back. You might save a few dollars, but some things you simply can't put a price on.
    That's also true and I completely understand if the OP chooses that way.

However, if the child follows anything like the normal HK education procedure, by 3 years old they will be in pre-nursery for 2-3 hours per day. When combined with normal afternoon nap time this could be up to 5 or so hours per day where the OP would be available to look into various earning options without compromising on family time.

I don't fault you for wanting to spend time with your child - especially at this age. The time is unique and you'll never get it back. You might save a few dollars, but some things you simply can't put a price on.
    I don't think anyone here is faulting her for wanting to spend time w her kid.
    We all agree as parents that is the most important.....

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I don't think anyone here is faulting her for wanting to spend time w her kid.
    We all agree as parents that is the most important.....
    Yes as I mentioned above I believe there are ways to get the best of both worlds, increasing your income while maintaining time with family. There are certainly plenty of tutors who teach part-time from home to supplement their household income.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Yes as I mentioned above I believe there are ways to get the best of both worlds, increasing your income while maintaining time with family. There are certainly plenty of tutors who teach part-time from home to supplement their household income.
    Probably fewer in Tung Chung. Tutoring isn't going to make a significant difference to their household income anyway.

Plenty of students in Tung Chung. Maybe you can't ask the rates you could get in Kowloon / Island-side but still pretty decent nevertheless. I'd say even limiting your hours to part-time you could supplement household income by at least 20 - 30K.

Are you living in HK now then? I thought you were living in Shenzen.
    I am, but we shop at places like Taste in King Glory Plaza and BLT at the KK Mall and my wife insist on buying local organic pork and beef. The chicken we get from Taste in Kowloon Tong or the Wellcome supermarket in Ma On Shan. It makes little difference cost of food wise. Fruits and veg we get locally and these are cheaper than HK, but things like detergents are generally more expensive in SZ, for example a bottle of comfort fabric softener is around HK$22 but around $17 in Taste Kowloon Tong, or a bottle of Dettol is RMB85 in SZ whereas I can get it for HK$85 in Hong Kong (less if I go to a local pharmacy). Prawns and clams are roughly the same price as HK wet markets, fresh fish depending on what type of fish is cheaper but of lower quality than HK fresh markets.

And things like imported brands are a lot more expensive than HK.

So if you was trying to say things are a lot cheaper in SZ, for where we shop for reason of quality and relative food safety standards, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Plenty of students in Tung Chung. Maybe you can't ask the rates you could get in Kowloon / Island-side but still pretty decent nevertheless. I'd say even limiting your hours to part-time you could supplement household income by at least 20 - 30K.
    Please be aware that jmbf's idea of p/t is under 50 hours per week...the man is a machine!

For mortals, pulling in an extra 10k doing private tuition is very achievable...
    VdayMamaShelli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Please be aware that jmbf's idea of p/t is under 50 hours per week...the man is a machine!

For mortals, pulling in an extra 10k doing private tuition is very achievable...

Tutoring is a very underrated industry. It is often misunderstood by many, including those within it, even including myself in the beginning. On top of that, It is also quite varied, hence different tutors will have had very different experiences. I know tutors earning less than 20K through to those earning over 100K. Differences in teaching experience and ability, location, qualifications, reputation etc etc all play a role in determining a tutor's potential income, but from talking with many tutors I've found the most important factor is mindset.

The fact remains that tutoring is a very good industry to be in right now. I regularly turn down requests to tutor in Tung Chung. The demand is there. If you want it, if you teach with passion and set yourself up right, you will do well.

My idea of part-time hours for the OP would look something like this: 3 hours per day at $350 / hr, Monday - Friday, thats at least $21,000 / month. That covers the cost of a helper (if they want one) and a large chunk of their loan repayments. The OP can then scale her teaching hours up or down according to her needs / requirements.

Original Post Deleted
    I would just as soon avoid the temptation of HK's "vibrancy" while paying down our debt. Once my son is headed to Primary & my husband & I can loosen the budget, we'll be relocating closer to my son's new school. Until then we'll stick w/ mountain hikes, beach days on the South side, playgroups & trips to museums / Ocean Park.
    Mat and jmbf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VdayMamaShelli:
    I would just as soon avoid the temptation of HK's "vibrancy" while paying down our debt. Once my son is headed to Primary & my husband & I can loosen the budget, we'll be relocating closer to my son's new school. Until then we'll stick w/ mountain hikes, beach days on the South side, playgroups & trips to museums / Ocean Park.
    Excellent reasoning plus Tung Chung has plenty to offer with a kid:
    - playground
    - swimming pool
    - beaches (nearby)
    - trails and walks
    - Kids' toys/shops
    - lots of local villages to explore
    - plenty of places to learn how to ride a bike

etc etc etc

Good luck with the move.
    VdayMamaShelli likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast