Like Tree6Likes

Young professional moving to HK August

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Young professional moving to HK August

Morning all,

I am a 24 y.o. teacher moving to HK to teach at a school in NT. I am wanting to live in Kowloon, possibly in Tai Kok Tsui, or around that area.

My wage is 33,000 and a housing allowance of 7,000. Usual benefits like medical insurance, flights, etc etc.

I am hoping to rent a 1 bedroom place for 15,000 - after expenses looking at having 20,000 a month left for food, travel, extra activities etc.

Is this wage a reasonable amount?

What advice would you give to a young man moving far from his London-based home/refuge.

Cheers.

Have you visited HK before? If not, I recommend spending perhaps the first month in a serviced apartment and exploring different areas on foot (there's nothing like experiencing an area on the ground, online research just won't cut it here). Don't just limit yourself to Kowloon either, you may find that you prefer some areas of the NT.

Regarding your accommodation budget, 15K is workable but you may need to shop around to find the best combination of location / facilities / space. Naturally your budget will get you a larger place out in the NT.

Overall your salary is fine (I'm assuming you're single, no family in tow) and you will be quite comfortable here as long as you use some common sense and don't go nuts drinking and eating out in the usual expat haunts. If you can adapt to a more local lifestyle (eating-wise and lifestyle-wise) you can save even more.

I'm also a teacher based in Kowloon so if you need anymore specific advice just let me know.

shri and itsdawn like this.

Many thanks for your response.

I am single with no commitments in that sense so I guess all of my spending will solely be on me. I'm not excessive in my spending and would quite enjoy a change in lifestyle in terms of eating habits and so on, so having a more local slant to my eating would be an aim of mine anyway!

I visited HK in February to see a friend who is also teaching out HK but near Stanley. My school is on the Tung Chung line so I was looking for somewhere affordable, but equally comfortable, around there but with easy access to the centre of town.

Ok, in that case Olympic / Tai Kok Tsui makes reasonable sense. I think you will struggle in Olympic on your budget (although it's always worthwhile to look around and try your luck) but there are some newer developments in Tai Kok Tsui such as Park Ivy and Park Summit that might suit you. Plenty of older buildings around in that area as well but make sure to check each one out carefully and try to find one closer to the MTR station.

Tai Kok Tsui has plenty of apartments 1 bed room for less than 10K

for example this one Tai Kok Tsui Li Tak Mansion apartment,Stand-alone building landlord For lease,No tenant now and no commission needed - 28Hse its for reference only.

go on Buy & Rent Hong Kong Property - 28Hse - Apartments, Homes, Real Estate for Sale and have a look around, again its for REFERENCE only to see what you can get for you money, when you do get to HK, have a walk around during the day and even at night (check for noise etc etc)

BTW, I have a WhatsApp chat group for Tutors / Teachers (see details here https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...ead298314.html) and you are welcome to join if you are interested

Many thanks will do

I was looking at places like Metro Harbour View, Shining Heights, Park Ivy, etc. Somewhere that seems a bit more like a complex than a block of flats somewhere. Thanks for the advice about noise - hadn't thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfman123:
    Many thanks will do

I was looking at places like Metro Harbour View, Shining Heights, Park Ivy, etc. Somewhere that seems a bit more like a complex than a block of flats somewhere. Thanks for the advice about noise - hadn't thought of that!
    Metro Harbour View is a large complex above a small shopping mall with restaurants and shops and it has a frequent minibus service to Mong Kok. So in that sense it's quite convenient. However, be prepared to get very hot and sweaty walking from there to Olympic Station everyday (it's at least a 10 - 15 min walk). Not the end of the world certainly, but there are other places a bit closer to the station. Down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Why not consider Tsing Yi or Tung Chung.

I was worried that these places would be too far out of town to have much life/soul if that makes sense. Are they suitable to offer enough for someone of my age? Living on my own.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast