Like Tree57Likes

Advice to a couple potentially moving to Hong Kong in July...

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Japsara:
    Thanks again for all the advice!

He used to be a chef but is now the General Manager. Over here he does 12 hr shifts over 5 days (although he still has to be contactable the other 2 & always seems to be working!), he doesn't really get a lunch break, just a couple of coffee breaks & he has been known to do 16 hr days when it's busy - crazy industry, but that's just the way it is and for whatever reason he absolutely loves his job - so as long as he's happy!

He will have to do 5 1/2 days in HK but they will be split shifts so actually being close really helps in terms that I could at least come and meet up with him for lunch or something. I think the Olympic, Kennedy Town, Sai Wan, Hung Hom and maybe Tsim Sha Tsui & as a long shot Discovery Bay might be good. Maybe even some of the East areas on HK island. When we come over I'll have a scout around. I do want to cut his commute down as much as possible.

It seems to be really hard to find out what General Manager restaurant salaries actually are in HK, I've looked online but can't really find anything. Obviously the difference here is that he pays 40% tax on what he earns, take that off and they're not offering him much less, although they suggested we would get an apartment between 11,000 & 15,000 HK which seems crazy! We are currently trying to see if we can get a better accommodation alowance but I'm not sure they'll budge. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. More than anything I don't want him coming over and being on less (overall) than he is here... But then we also don't want to miss out on the opportunity to come to HK, we've wanted to get out of the UK for awhile now!

Thanks

Well, so long as your husband is happy with his job, that is what counts in the end. Just watch out he won't get burned out...that can happen without sufficient breaks and time off every now and then. Make sure you set time aside with him for an occasional holiday to recharge batteries. I've seen friends who work in the finance industry who endure insane hours without breaks, and some of them get burned out soon from that...although touch wood that won't happen to your husband.

Back to topic, Discovery Bay would not be a good choice given the hours your husband work. It is certainly a nice area to live in, but commuting can be an issue. Best to find somewhere on HK Island or in Kowloon next to the Tsuen Wan line (which goes to Central-and Lan Kwai Fong).

And yes, you can certainly keep more of what you earn here in HK!
    Last edited by Cho-man; 30-04-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Japsara likes this.

15k can probably get you a 400 Sq ft place around Kennedy town, I forgot the name of the place but I have a friend renting a 2br for 13k. He's from the prc so not local. I believe that he's a 10 minute walk from sheung wan mtr.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    15k can probably get you a 400 Sq ft place around Kennedy town, I forgot the name of the place but I have a friend renting a 2br for 13k. He's from the prc so not local. I believe that he's a 10 minute walk from sheung wan mtr.
    Kennedy town 10 minutes Walk from sheung wan mtr? Are you sure, sounds more like sai ying pun, is this a walk up building, no lift. Etc

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    There's MTR stations in SYP and Kennedy Town now, so I'm not sure what's with the reference to Sheung Wan? In any case, I seriously doubt the OP could get an apartment that size in this area right now, unless it were in pretty bad shape/location (low floor, noisy street, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Don't Suggest ???? So a One Hour commute from a Three Hour commute ( I do it every day bar Sunday ) is NOT keeping the commute down ??

Who are you, the thought police?

FYI -- Past 11 is still OK for the MTR, even for us country folk. Mini buses run from the MTR station when the trains run ... WOW .. go figure .. integrated transport for us country folk as well.
    How is a commute from LKF to Tai Po a 1 hour commute? More like 2 hours to me. I assume his commute in London is 2 way for 3 hours or 1.5 each way. Not dissing the Tai Po living, just the time spent.

Haha...back from the dead and it would seem very little has changed around here. Ahh, this thread did bring back some good time killing memories. Not much has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Haha...back from the dead and it would seem very little has changed around here. Ahh, this thread did bring back some good time killing memories. Not much has changed.
    so you were closed casket? now open?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    Guess someone must have been curious to know how he looked....
    imparanoic and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    He is a vampire!

OP:

Public transport will shut down when typhoon signal no. 8 or higher is hoisted, the ferries sometimes even before that, so getting to and fro work can be a problem on those days. Being in the restaurant business, I am assuming your husband will need to be at work regardless of weather.

Also, MTR runs between 6am-1am approx., so if odd working hours are involved, best check alternative transport options, or choose somewhere closer to work.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast