Like Tree19Likes

Moving to HK (from Tokyo)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Moving to HK (from Tokyo)

Folks, appreciate if you can share your thoughts.

I am currently in early discussion with my boss on an offer for me to relocate to HK. I work at a securities firm, back office role. The proposed offer is 800k-900k a year. The office is in Central. (That's comparable to what I'm getting now in Tokyo, since the Japanese Yen has weakend soooo much. Actually I was offered a similar deal a couple of years back, when the yen was like 40% stronger. ) Would I be able to maintain my current lifestyle somehow?

I am a single guy in my early 30s. Currently I live in a 2-bedroom apartment (600 sqft usable) downtown Tokyo, 5min from subway station. If possible I'd like to go for something similar in HK. Being Japanese, I cannot live without sushi and stuff so I expect to have sushi or sashimi at least once a week, if at all possible. I am terrible at cooking so plan to eat out daily (every now and then, a prepacked salad from the supermarket will do as well). Also I prefer a gym with a pool (or if this is not the norm here, I will need membership to both a gym and a pool). I can speak some Mandarin (but zero Cantonese) and don't mind living among the locals. I am a weak drinker and usually order soft-drinks and cocktails when going out. I travel to Europe usually twice a year to see my folks (they don't live in Japan).

Also one last thing, how much will I be able to save? 30% of my pre-tax income? Insane? I have a mortgage in Tokyo and want to pay it off asap.

Thank you very much!

Deleted thanks for replying. my current commute is 20min on the subway + 10min walking, door to door 30min.

Original Post Deleted
    also is it possible to go to central on foot, if I live at sheung wan or wan chai? I'm used to walking for 30min to get to places in Tokyo.

Plenty of sushi/sashimi here, also yoshinoya (吉野家), watami (和民), try shopping at city super fit grocery, aeon living plaza for cheap things

Tadashi likes this.

If you cannot cook and like sushi, live close to an Aeon. Cheap reasonable quality sushi.
    Kowloon side is generally cheaper living compared to HK island and it's not exactly out of city centre. Depends on how much time you want to spend in LKF and Wanchai.
    But if 2x per year EU trip and paying off mortgage at home has priority, indeed look into Kowloon.

Tadashi likes this.

there are quite a few Japanese families living in hung hom bay in harbor place, it's 30 mins to central here

Skyhook and Tadashi like this.

Area's that might suit a solo Tadashi san would be:

Taikoo Shing
    North Point / Tin Hau
    Happy Valley
    Lyndhurst Terrace, Aberdeen Street...LKF/Central/ Midlevels etc.
    In and around Star Street, Wan Chai
    Causeway Bay near Times Square

On Kowloon side
    Hung Hom/Whompoa ( Laguna Verde ) as Imp suggested
    Kimberly Road TST near Knutsford Terrace
    Jordan off Cox's road overlooking the Kowloon Cricket Club

imparanoic and Tadashi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Area's that might suit a solo Tadashi san would be:

Taikoo Shing
    North Point / Tin Hau
    Happy Valley
    Lyndhurst Terrace, Aberdeen Street...LKF/Central/ Midlevels etc.
    In and around Star Street, Wan Chai
    Causeway Bay near Times Square

On Kowloon side
    Hung Hom/Whompoa ( Laguna Verde ) as Imp suggested
    Kimberly Road TST near Knutsford Terrace
    Jordan off Cox's road overlooking the Kowloon Cricket Club
    The high end apartments above elements may be also decent for you

but Laguna Verde is closer to Tokwawan, a good 20 mins walk to hung hom mtr, a bit far, apparently very nice though and you do get a nice sea view easterly wise
    Last edited by imparanoic; 08-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Salaries Tax Calculator
    Salaries Tax Computation

Tadashi likes this.

also

Do you like the party life, night clubs and drinking, if yes, and want to participate twice or repeatedly every few days, consider moving to HK island

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast