Like Tree97Likes

85k a mth for family of 4

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    OP - what does your wife do? Any chance she can continue her career in HK?
    Potentially yes but she is in the public sector in SG and so may not be so straightforward to find an equivalent in HK.

Your wife is asthmatic and falls sick when she visits HK but you are considering to move here? Crazy. Don't do it. Health is more important than wealth, and you are going to take a net income it anyway! Don't move.

Just8in, Enderman, bibbju and 1 others like this.

OP what kind of industry are you in? Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    OP what kind of industry are you in? Tech?
    Financial

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Well they could live in DB....no crowd...beaches...mountains etc etc...
    Won't help the asthma though! Although I guess it depends how bad the wife's asthma is. There are ways to manage it but HK's pollution certainly doesn't help! (I write that as an asthmatic who lived in DB for my 3rd year in HK).

Funnily enough, I met up with some friends at the weekend who used to live in DB but have now moved to Toronto (hubby and I both used to make the commute to/from Taikoo from DB). We had a good laugh about how lovely and clean the Ontario air is and how much the family were enjoying not having sore throats every day!!

Edit: just to add, plenty of crowds in DB at weekends/holidays when the weather's good. Not Causeway Bay standards admittedly but enough to be annoying when you're a resident and the visitors aren't!
    Last edited by bibbju; 23-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    Just8in, Fiona in HKG and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Won't help the asthma though! Although I guess it depends how bad the wife's asthma is. There are ways to manage it but HK's pollution certainly doesn't help! (I write that as an asthmatic who lived in DB for my 3rd year in HK).

Funnily enough, I met up with some friends at the weekend who used to live in DB but have now moved to Toronto (hubby and I both used to make the commute to/from Taikoo from DB). We had a good laugh about how lovely and clean the Ontario air is and how much the family were enjoying not having sore throats every day!!

Edit: just to add, plenty of crowds in DB at weekends/holidays when the weather's good. Not Causeway Bay standards admittedly but enough to be annoying when you're a resident and the visitors aren't!
    Well sure but we are not comparing to Ontatori here but to Singapore

I have no doubt that Ontario is a lot better in terms of air quality...I was merely suggesting the OP to take a look at DB knowing that YOU lived there and I recalled YOU had asthma...and YOU seemed to enjoy it (at least the few posts you sent before you left HK) and the crowds are a lot less than on most of HK Island / Kowloon.
    Just8in likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Well sure but we are not comparing to Ontatori here but to Singapore

I have no doubt that Ontario is a lot better in terms of air quality...I was merely suggesting the OP to take a look at DB knowing that YOU lived there and I recalled YOU had asthma...and YOU seemed to enjoy it (at least the few posts you sent before you left HK) and the crowds are a lot less than on most of HK Island / Kowloon.
    I liked it so much that I left ;-). And haven't been back. And don't intend to. There's a message there :-)

On a serious note, although I managed my asthma in HK by using stronger steroids (not something I particularly liked doing but needs must), healthwise I felt below par my entire time in HK yet felt much better within a few days of going anywhere else...including Singapore. My asthma is actually quite mild (or at least it was until I got to HK. I only needed steroids once in 20 years until I moved to HK when I ended up having to take them daily). I remember getting off a flight back to London and thinking "hmm, clean air!" That's when you know there's a problem with HK air pollution!!! I was a lot less healthy when I left HK compared to when I arrived.

I would be seriously concerned given the OP's wife already has a history of sickness when visiting HK.
    Last edited by bibbju; 23-06-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    TheBrit, Just8in, Enderman and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I liked it so much that I left ;-). And haven't been back. And don't intend to. There's a message there :-)

On a serious note, although I managed my asthma in HK by using stronger steroids (not something I particularly liked doing but needs must), healthwise I felt below par my entire time in HK yet felt much better within a few days of going anywhere else...including Singapore. My asthma is actually quite mild (or at least it was until I got to HK. I only needed steroids once in 20 years until I moved to HK when I ended up having to take them daily). I remember getting off a flight back to London and thinking "hmm, clean air!" That's when you know there's a problem with HK air pollution!!! I was a lot less healthy when I left HK compared to when I arrived.

I would be seriously concerned given the OP's wife already has a history of sickness when visiting HK.
    Thanks for the sharing. And actually we never understood why my wife was always under the weather a few days after we arrive in HK even though she has mild asthma(steroid sprays once every 6 months or a year) and same thing, once we are back in SG, she is fully recovered.

My other concern is also whether my boys end up the same if we expose them so young to the environment.
    TheBrit likes this.

From a cost perspective, does this seem reasonable? It doesn't really look like there will be much left.

Gathered this from other posts and made some modifications:

30K Rent (3bdr around Taikoo)
    15K Education (2 preschoolers)
    5K Groceries
    3K Transport
    5K Health/Clothes/Entertainment
    4K Weekend Trips (1-2 times whole family)
    1K Internet / Phone / TV
    2K Utilities
    5k Helper
    2k MPF
    10k tax

3k contingency/savings

Total 85k

Quote Originally Posted by Just8in:
    From a cost perspective, does this seem reasonable? It doesn't really look like there will be much left.

Gathered this from other posts and made some modifications:

30K Rent (3bdr around Taikoo)
    15K Education (2 preschoolers)
    5K Groceries
    3K Transport
    5K Health/Clothes/Entertainment
    4K Weekend Trips (1-2 times whole family)
    1K Internet / Phone / TV
    2K Utilities
    5k Helper
    2k MPF
    10k tax

3k contingency/savings

Total 85k
    You could easily end up spending more on Groceries than 5K (depending on your eating habits).

You won't need 10K for tax, with allowances for dependents and (potentially) rent, you could save a bit there.

Education costs are very variable, you could end up spending more than 15K if you are not careful.
    Just8in, shri and Enderman like this.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast