Like Tree97Likes

85k a mth for family of 4

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    613

    Curious to ask this; is there another reason why you are moving from SG to HK, besides the promotion and the salary gains that come with it?

    I would've thought SG and HK would be very similar - minus the crowds and the pollution lol


  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Curious to ask this; is there another reason why you are moving from SG to HK, besides the promotion and the salary gains that come with it?

    I would've thought SG and HK would be very similar - minus the crowds and the pollution lol
    Actually it's mainly the promotion and not even salary gains from a nett family perspective. I guess the pull is because it is the next level that I have been working towards the last 5 years and now suddenly that it is available, putting everything in perspective, it doesn't seem like the best choice anymore. It's also opportunity lost/cost if I turn this down ie knowing that I may not get another chance like this anytime soon. Otherwise, I do know and feel it is family which should take precedence now. 5 years ago, I didn't have my 2 boys or the experience/maturity to take up this role either!
    jmbf and 7jai like this.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,622

    How long with the posting in Hong Kong be for?


  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    How long with the posting in Hong Kong be for?
    It would be a permanent relocation.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,625
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I liked it so much that I left ;-). And haven't been back. And don't intend to. There's a message there :-)

    On a serious note, although I managed my asthma in HK by using stronger steroids (not something I particularly liked doing but needs must), healthwise I felt below par my entire time in HK yet felt much better within a few days of going anywhere else...including Singapore. My asthma is actually quite mild (or at least it was until I got to HK. I only needed steroids once in 20 years until I moved to HK when I ended up having to take them daily). I remember getting off a flight back to London and thinking "hmm, clean air!" That's when you know there's a problem with HK air pollution!!! I was a lot less healthy when I left HK compared to when I arrived.

    I would be seriously concerned given the OP's wife already has a history of sickness when visiting HK.
    hey Bibbju, I am not going to argue with you since I usually like your posts but as I recall you left more for work reason than for pollution reason. Pollution is a big thing in HK, I am not going to deny it at all, it is one of my main concern too..I just felt that you were comparing Apples and Oranges when you brought up Ontario in the mix...

    Anyway as I said, we are not comparing HK to London or Ontario but to Singapore. I am sure as you said that HK is way more polluted than Ontario or London. It is also more polluted than Singapore but the difference is less stagering than versus Ontario.
    Cho-man likes this.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,446

    85k a mth for family of 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    hey Bibbju, I am not going to argue with you since I usually like your posts but as I recall you left more for work reason than for pollution reason. Pollution is a big thing in HK, I am not going to deny it at all, it is one of my main concern too..I just felt that you were comparing Apples and Oranges when you brought up Ontario in the mix...

    Anyway as I said, we are not comparing HK to London or Ontario but to Singapore. I am sure as you said that HK is way more polluted than Ontario or London. It is also more polluted than Singapore but the difference is less stagering than versus Ontario.
    Deleted
    Last edited by bibbju; 23-06-2015 at 05:29 PM.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,446
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    OP, looks like you're now leaning towards not taking this offer. Wish you all the very best.
    @bibbju I just find it curious that you still hang around on geo that is about HK, whereas you left HK because you hated it and now happily settled back in a city of your choice that provides it all to you. Or may be they don't have any expat websites over there in London, is it? I mean let's be fair, you lived here for a short period of time, hardly an expert on the city and its life so it's not to impart your wisdom to the posters on here, nor you have any love for HK as far as I could see from your posting history that you'd want to hang on to this last link to HK... Why do you hang on here?
    I am not trying to be offending or anything, just don't find things adding up here.
    1) I don't consider 3 years a short time

    2) I only post on threads where I have some relevant knowledge/experience

    3) I have a lot of friends/connections still in HK and Geo helps me keep up-to-date.

    4) I enjoy reading posts from some of the regulars as I find them quite entertaining.

    But thanks for that. Time for me to delete the app.
    Open Casket likes this.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,317

    That's rough and you need to consider your wife and her feelings. It's 33 degrees everyday here, what is she going to do? HK can get lonely and boring for those not working and having a budget on money can make it difficult.

    Groceries, do you eat a good portion of meat or light portion. When my helper cooks and with soup veggies 2 meats full meal it is easily $120 per meal. Don't forget lunch during the workweek. Nights out with colleagues and friends, happy hour, nice meals with the misses, late night taxi home now and then. It all adds up.

    Yes you can live on it, but it isn't ideal. I would ask the company to provide a housing allowance otherwise it isn't worth it. That's my opinion, others will say differently.

    And yes the air is bad for sensitive people. That's torture. Then you need to add medical coverage if not included at work.


  9. #49

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Deleted - I am not in the best of moods today so this is best left unanswered.
    Well I am not going to needle you if you are not in the mood. But I just find it hard to believe that DB is so unliveable as you say. I always see it as sort of residential fantasyland in HK far removed from the average apartment in HK. If you find even that area to be unliveable, there really is nowhere suitable in HK. One does wonder how other expats survive in HK if even DB is intolerable...

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,860
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    1) I don't consider 3 years a short time

    2) I only post on threads where I have some relevant knowledge/experience

    3) I have a lot of friends/connections still in HK and Geo helps me keep up-to-date.

    4) I enjoy reading posts from some of the regulars as I find them quite entertaining.

    But thanks for that. Time for me to delete the app.
    Fair answer. As I mentioned, I was curious to know why you keep on posting here, that's all.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast