Like Tree2Likes

Wanting to move to HK from the US

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanting to move to HK from the US

Hello, first time poster here.

I recently took a trip out to Hong Kong for a vacation and simply fell in love with the city. Been to many countries around the world but something about HK appealed to more than any other place I've visited (most likely the reason is me being an ABC). Now, being young and 23, I'm looking to move out there to have a new experience in my life, away from Seattle.

I understand that for one to live and work there, they need to obtain a work visa through immigration, where they are sponsored by their employer. Currently, I have a BA in Communications, where I am a native English-speaker, with very-basic Cantonese. I am working as an Assistant Store Manager at a clothing-retailer right now (going almost 7 years now total), where I have people management, customer service, and marketing skills. This could still be somewhat of a limiting factor in possible jobs similar to this as my Cantonese skills is not the best.

However, during my time at the university, I was also involved in mentoring local high school students in the Seattle-area in formulating a post-secondary plan, whether it was getting into college, the military, or the workforce. This opened up the possibility of getting my foot into the education field, so teaching English in HK is not far-fetched.

From what I've been reading, its best to keep searching online with the hopes of getting contacted for an interview and getting a job offer with the visa sponsorship. I've also read that being there physically can make it easier but its limited on resources and time (3 months visa-free for US), BUT this idea can work for me in the coming months so I'm open to this method as well.

Would love some insight on some possible options.

Quote Originally Posted by YewDub:
    Now, being young and 23.
    I am working as an Assistant Store Manager at a clothing-retailer right now (going almost 7 years now total).
    So it was part time work since you were 17, since your degree at university was full time?

You would need skills not readily available in Hong Kong to have a chance at a visa.

Yea, I was working part-time throughout high school and college, then got promoted to full-time management after I was done with school in 2012. That gives me 3 years of managerial experience.

Definitely understand that the skills I have from my job isn't really lacking in HK, so my options are very slim.

Would you consider teaching English

Don't you have the right to work in HK?

You have a BA in communications OP, hmmm...how about teaching public speaking or presentation in HK? So many expats teach English already, why not teach something a little different to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    Would you consider teaching English
    so teaching English in HK is not far-fetched.

It seems from his initial post that he would.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    You have a BA in communications OP, hmmm...how about teaching public speaking or presentation in HK? So many expats teach English already, why not teach something a little different to stand out.
    Never thought about this. Definitely something to look into it.

And yes, teaching English would be an option for me. Probably the most logical option since I don't have the right to work in HK at this time.

My two cents:

- Get a TESOL certificate while you can and while you're young if you're interested in pursuing English teaching (would also open the door for you to go to other areas in the future, too, if you like the idea of experiencing different countries).
    - Look at what qualifications you'd need to get into the NET teacher scheme. Take the time, get the qualifications and plan. It can be well worth it.
    - Consider coming to HK to do a masters degree. It would only take 2 years, you could come into HK with the network support of a university, and it would put you in a better position to get hired in HK in the field you want to progress in (I think?). ... Actually, I'm not sure what the immigration policies are for foreigners who come here to study. Can they have the right to work after?

jmbf likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Actually, I'm not sure what the immigration policies are for foreigners who come here to study. Can they have the right to work after?
    There is the IANG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast