Like Tree2Likes

Salary comparison for £60, 000?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salary comparison for £60, 000?

Hi all
    I'm new and this is my first post! Ive been offered a role in Hong Kong, for which the UK salary is £60, 000 and they have said they will give me a salary in HK which is 'equivalent'. Ive looked at rent and know that is expensive, but am not sure what would be a good equivalent?

My husband will be moving with me, would that be enough to live off while he looks for a job?

Any help appreciated!

Hi, it all depends. Most important, the rent here is quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by redshoes88:
    Hi all
    I'm new and this is my first post! Ive been offered a role in Hong Kong, for which the UK salary is £60, 000 and they have said they will give me a salary in HK which is 'equivalent'. Ive looked at rent and know that is expensive, but am not sure what would be a good equivalent?

My husband will be moving with me, would that be enough to live off while he looks for a job?

Any help appreciated!
    There must be hundreds of threads on this site asking exactly the same question as you with salaries ranging from a few thousand HK$ a month to hundreds of thousands.

Use the search function here and your question will be answered.

Hi all

Any help appreciated!
    Rents are high but Income tax is half of UK. So it should balance out.

I moved over from UK to HK on "equivalent" which for me meant taking my UK salary and applying the exchange rate. I'm definitely better off money wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    There must be hundreds of threads on this site asking exactly the same question as you with salaries ranging from a few thousand HK$ a month to hundreds of thousands.

Use the search function here and your question will be answered.
    Perhaps they want up to date information. What difference does it make to you?

Hi all

Any help appreciated!
    Depends on whether they are throwing anything else in like relocation and accommodation for one or two months on arrival. Like for Like Salary would be HKD 720,000 per annum or thereabouts which depending on your family circumstances and job location might be plenty, or you may need to negotiate a little mark up.

That works out to be approx HKD 60K per month which should be fine for a couple with no kids but of course it depends heavily on lifestyle choices. Sounds as if the husband will look for work and if he can find something to add to that total then that will make things even easier.

In terms of getting an equivalent lifestyle I think it would also depend on what part of the UK you are moving from. 60K in the north would go a lot further than 60k in London.

shri likes this.

Thanks for your answers. Currently based in Manchester, but comparison will be made on comparable life in London. I know there are a few threeads of what you need to live but specifically I'm after what the comparable salary would be so I can negotiate.

Looking at renting I think we'll be paying around 20k-25k for a two bed apartment, don't mind not being based in central as we want to bring our dog over (i know there is a cost to this bit I've been told no dog no move!) They will fly us both out with extra luggage and provide a serviced apartment for the first month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast