Budget for married couple?

Closed Thread

Budget for married couple?

Hi
    We are thinkng of Moving to HK and assuming we both get the jobs/salary we are expecting we should be taking home 770,000 HKD.

So here is my proposed Budget!

Basic Info:
    Salary :$770,000
    After tax : $733,600
    Per month :$61,133
    Using: Salaries Tax Computation

Accomodation Allowance:$25,000

Savings: $15,000

Monthly Expenses for 2:
    Groceries - $4000
    Mobile Phone - $240
    Broadband - $200
    Electricity - $300
    Gas - $100
    Water - $100
    Transport - $1000
    Cable: $200

Monthly total after expenses - $14,993

Does this seem reasonable?
    Is there anything I am missing?

Perhaps I am dim, but what do you mean "monthly total after expenses"?

You will net 61 and receive 25 housing allowance? That is a respectable 86.

Subtract a bit for savings, (only 15?), and you'll be left with 71 per month. If you plan on spending 56 per month on housing/food/utils/misc. then you'll have 15 after expenses...

Is this what you mean? You are planning to spend 56 per month?

and your question is: Does this seem reasonable?

my answer: You and your spouse will live comfortably on 56 per month.
    Last edited by squid; 09-10-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I forgot to finish the post!

what about going out, movies, restaurants, bars etc. drinking and eating out depending on where is quite a chunk of change.

Your electricity looks low - if you are living in a 25k flat you will probably have a higher electricity bill than that during summer at least.

Your transport looks pretty high - that's 33 a day or so, so unless you are living a long way from work or are going to catch a couple of cabs a day it seems high. You probably will not need a car here unless you live a long way out of the main centres.

I'm assuming that your 'housing allowance' is a budgeted allowance for housing (compared to squid's assumption that it is an additional housing allowance) - seems reasonable.

You seem to be missing insurance payments, MPF payments (probably 1000 per month each if you both work), club or gym fees (if applicable). Agree with above - need an allowance for eating out, clothes etc.

cable is low... to get the full package is $488/month from now bbtv.

electricity is WAYYYYYY low! if you plan on having air con on at all during the blistering hot summers or heaters on in the winters.... i would increase that by 5-6X!!!

i would also increase gas... you will most likely be cooking with gas and it will most likely heat your water.... increase it to $500-700 just to be sure.

transportation for 2 is too low as well.... double at least, maybe even triple if you end up getting a lot of taxis

water here is cheap and that should be ok...

still... we have a family of 5, and two dogs and live on 2/3 of your salary.

you should be fine.

Last edited by carang; 09-10-2008 at 10:24 PM.

moving07... $33/day for transportation is too high??? you need to also include those days that you make a special trip out to stanley etc...for 2 people, i think it's too low!

of course if you live in mid-levels and work in central and only go out to LKF, you'll be ok with that assumption. it might even be on the high side as moving07 suggested

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    Perhaps I am dim, but what do you mean "monthly total after expenses"?

You will net 61 and receive 25 housing allowance? That is a respectable 86.

Subtract a bit for savings, (only 15?), and you'll be left with 71 per month. If you plan on spending 56 per month on housing/food/utils/misc. then you'll have 15 after expenses...

Is this what you mean? You are planning to spend 56 per month?

and your question is: Does this seem reasonable?

my answer: You and your spouse will live comfortably on 56 per month.
    if u put in the numbers u will realize they are expected to receive 61k in total. and out of 61k they have allocated 25 for housing cost.

15k for savings.
    and deducting those individual items u wld get your 14933 leftovers for outings and spendings...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    moving07... $33/day for transportation is too high??? you need to also include those days that you make a special trip out to stanley etc...for 2 people, i think it's too low!

of course if you live in mid-levels and work in central and only go out to LKF, you'll be ok with that assumption. it might even be on the high side as moving07 suggested
    Interestingly I was thinking of it as low and I live in NT and use less than that! But I catch buses everywhere and to be honest I didn't think of people catching taxis all the time (I think I have caught about 6 in the last year... since there is pretty much nowhere that you cannot get a bus!), so I agree with your assessment.