Like Tree3Likes

Moving to HK 15th September

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK 15th September

Hello,

I am moving to Hong Kong Next week to help run our Hong Kong office that is situated in Sheung Wen of our company, which focuses on property investment. I will be living in close to mid levels central for the first couple of weeks then plan to move in or close to Soho providing my budget stretches. I am 23 and currently live in Manchester, I have never been to Hong Kong and very much looking for any help with best places to go and meet people. Keen to meet anyone who is in a similar position or can give me any advice

Hope you can help.

James

What is your budget first and foremost?
    Soho/mid levels isn't cheap and you're looking at $30k or so for an apartment.

Thanks, accommodation is sorted really there's plenty of places on airb&b which I have found.

My budget is around that price and there seems to be good choice. If you could advise any websites other than airb&b that are furnished that would be helpful.

Thanks again

23 years old with a 30K housing budget? Wow - that's impressive!

emilyli and ecy5maa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    23 years old with a 30K housing budget? Wow - that's impressive!

Indeed, and helping to run a company in Hong Kong at that age. Also, impressive.
    emilyli likes this.

You could try easyroom mate.com. Its the same format as for the UK site, i found a nice room with some friendly people and within my budget. Also this site often has rooms to let adverts. My fisrts time in HK too, been here 2 weeks and its going well. Good luck

Sarah

I suggest you may Reach the property agent for the details of accommodation though local colleagues, they can help to get the best deal I guess. Good Luck.

Hi Sarah,

Moving to HK on 16th September from Sydney!
    Going to be staying at garden East wan chai for the first few weeks and then need to find a place to stay permanently!

My budget is unfortunately only $20000 and am hoping to find a decent place in that! Suggestions would be good!

Keen to meet people and it's my first time to HK to!

Mala

Hi Mala,
    I think if you have a place to stay for the first few weeks that would be a big help. It would give you a chance to set up a few viewings and find more perminant place to stay after getting a feel for the area and work out travel routes etc. I'm on a similar budget and managed to find somewhere within 4 days. Had to fit in a lot of viewings and was a bit rushed but I looked up rooms for rent on websites before my move to HK and pre-arranged many of the dates and times for viewings. It was easy to find places looking for room mates, a bit harder finding one that suited what I wanted. But my advice is have a clear idea of what kind of environment you want to live in, the location in regards to where you can afford verses commute to work. And to stay safe try to have someone with you when you go to viewings or at least have someone who knows where you are going and when you'll be back. Also make sure you can have a working phone, I didn't have a HK sim at first and so made trying to arrange meeting people difficult, plus I needed access to my map apps to find the apartments.

Im not sure what it's like in Sydney, but for me I had to keep reminding myself that here, people live in smaller spaces and it's the norm to live with lots of people and mix housing and business properties in the same buildings. It takes some adjusting but persevere and you'll adapt quickly. If there's anything else I can help with let me know

Last edited by Sarahl66; 14-09-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Hi Mala,
    You can find a 250 sq ft studio for that unless you move to the dark side. Anyone looking for apartments should head to a property agency. Looking online is a waste of time.
    Good luck!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast