Like Tree29Likes

Moving to HK: What would you bring?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    18-20k is a 300 sq ft studio on HK side or live on the dark side you might get 400-450 sq ft if you are lucky.
    I don't know where people get these figures from... It's true that I'm near the end of a 2 year lease - but I'm paying significantly less than $18k for a 600ish sqft, 2 bedroom place, around 15 minutes walk from LKF!
    bookblogger likes this.

2 bedroom is likely 400-450 sq ft. You are quoting the gross, aka fake, square footage, which includes the elevator, the lobby, the hallway, the staircase, etc. LKF is cheaper because it is dirty.

2 bedroom is likely 400-450 sq ft. You are quoting the gross, aka fake, square footage, which includes the elevator, the lobby, the hallway, the staircase, etc. LKF is cheaper because it is dirty.
    Not 400-450sqft , not in LKF, not dirty, and not $18k+ - but apart from that, full marks!
    Londrino and HowardCoombs like this.

Personally I came with a 20 foot container of stuff and would have hated arriving with just a suitcase. I like access to my lifetime of accumulated possessions. So the answer may depend on the type of person you are. Western clothes and shoes are a bugger to get here unless you are Asian sized....

I got 2 mates sharing a 400sq ft (and that's useable space) in Tai Hang for a little over 8k. And Tai Hang is a quite sort after area.

Opening a bank account here is a pain in the ass. They ask for proof of home address.
    Bring an original utility bill (not pdf) with your name and addressed to your home country address. (landline phone, gas, electricity).

Nep, danohk and HK_Katherine like this.

We brought all of our appliances from the UK because shipping was included in the relocation package. Given our place here is half the size of our home in London that was probably overkill. Ended up selling some stuff fairly successfully on Geoexpat classifieds though.

Cosmetics - if you are darker-skinned you MUST buy anything you need and bring it here. For some reason you cannot get cosmetics shipped internationally very easily. I tried all the big US/UK stores that ship to HK and all of them have cosmetics excluded. And by darker-skinned I don't mean just black or south Asian, women here wear makeup to make themselves look whiter so even an olive tone is going to be hard to get. I don't find cosmetics more expensive here though in general.

Agree with the clothing sizes, husband and I are tall and have big feet and other than bespoke work clothing, we order everything online or shop when we are back in the US.

Apple products are pretty much the same price in HK as in US, that is, about 10% cheaper than in UK.

danohk likes this.

I strongly agree with you on bringing coffee (whole beans) and cheese, provided that you are buying them from a wholesale shop like CostCo. I save quite a bit of money bringing those in my luggage every year from the USA. However, I do not know if the UK has that kind of discount warehouse shops.

I did run into some extra security check when I had a hard drive next to a block of cheese - security checked for explosives as the cheese came up as possible semtex.

I also save a lot on generic pills, including ibuprofen, acetaminophen, glucosamine/chondroiten, vitamin C, multi vitamins, and the like. Far far cheaper in CostCo than here. For example, I can buy a bottle of 200-300 acetominophen tablets from CostCo for the price of a small box with 16 blister-packed pills here in HK. Again - not sure if the UK has the discount warehouse shops.

Regarding wine - I would get it here and in Macau. HK eliminated the duty on Wine some time ago, and I think prices are quite reasonable.

-Spode

danohk and Londrino like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spode:
    I also save a lot on generic pills, including ibuprofen, acetaminophen, glucosamine/chondroiten, vitamin C, multi vitamins, and the like. Far far cheaper in CostCo than here. For example, I can buy a bottle of 200-300 acetominophen tablets from CostCo for the price of a small box with 16 blister-packed pills here in HK. Again - not sure if the UK has the discount warehouse shops.
    can you really save "a lot"?

Geoexpat has spoken, the OP must bring 5 suits and 300 pills of acetaminophen.

danohk, Rob2020 and Cho-man like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast