Like Tree187Likes

American family considering Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shannonC:
    Fast internet? Lama doesnt have fast internet? Im outta this thread...getting stupid now...
    According to SCMP article a few weeks ago, Outlying island residents need to settle for internet speeds nearly 100 times lower than HK Island and Kowloon residents for the same amount of money.

The average internet speed in HK Island and Kowloon is 58.11mbps, with some people getting up to 103.7mbps. Outside HK Island and Kowloon the average speed is just 2.55mbps. Lantau and Lamma get as low as 0.75mbps.

This guy is an IT system admiistrator working from home. So I think this point is very relevant. I am not sure what exactly you find so stupid about this.

Second-class netizens: outlying island residents get 100x slower internet speeds than rest of Hong Kong | South China Morning Post
    jimbo and jmbf like this.

so from the choices ( housing and commuting)

2100 sq ft entire rural house in sha tau kok for HK$22000, cheap car ownership/cheap car probably additional HK$2500 installment payment and HK$500 parking, HK$1000 petrol

or

1400 sq ft 2 floors rural house in lamma for HK$24000, probably additional HK$3000 for monthly allowance for ferry (HK$21/HK$29 single trip adults) and (HK$10.5/HK$15 single trip child)

or

other alternatives ?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    so from the choices ( housing and commuting)

2100 sq ft entire rural house in sha tau kok for HK$22000, cheap car ownership/cheap car probably additional HK$2500 installment payment and HK$500 parking, HK$1000 petrol

or

1400 sq ft 2 floors rural house in lamma for HK$24000, probably additional HK$3000 for monthly allowance for ferry (HK$21/HK$29 single trip adults) and (HK$10.5/HK$15 single trip child)

or

other alternatives ?

Go nature:http://www.palmbeach.com.hk/

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Go nature:palmbeach
    or if that's the case, be a hermit and live in sea ranch! remoteness to the extreme

home education will be the only option

http://hongwrong.com/sea-ranch-hong-kong/
    Last edited by imparanoic; 05-11-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    According to SCMP article a few weeks ago, Outlying island residents need to settle for internet speeds nearly 100 times lower than HK Island and Kowloon residents for the same amount of money.

The average internet speed in HK Island and Kowloon is 58.11mbps, with some people getting up to 103.7mbps. Outside HK Island and Kowloon the average speed is just 2.55mbps. Lantau and Lamma get as low as 0.75mbps.

This guy is an IT system admiistrator working from home. So I think this point is very relevant. I am not sure what exactly you find so stupid about this.
    I live in a Shatin village house and I have an 8mb line which I get speeds of around 3mb if I'm lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    or if that's the case, be a hermit and live in sea ranch! remoteness to the extreme
    That would be cool.
    home education will be the only option
    Actually, you have several choices as there is regular service to Cheung Chau where there are 3-4 schools.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    That would be cool.
    Actually, you have several choices as there is regular service to Cheung Chau where there are 3-4 schools.
    so i presume if there is a finance tsunami within the next few years and prices drop, you will be interested in purchase cheap property fit for a hermit ( or holiday home, timeshare) at this place?

Little did the op know that he could move from Florida to Hong Kong and be even more isolated.
    Even worse internet at Sea Ranch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Little did the op know that he could move from Florida to Hong Kong and be even more isolated.
    Even worse internet at Sea Ranch!!!
    hermit don't need internet!
    Mamba likes this.

Can you be a hermit with a wife and five kids?

imparanoic likes this.