Like Tree187Likes

American family considering Hong Kong

Reply
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
  1. #141

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,869

    Actually there's several, to me, false things you've said MandM:

    - Mui Wo $20,000 gets you 450 sq/ft. False, friends of mine live there pay around $8,000 for that size and that's close to the ferry. $20,000 gets you 450 sq/ft in Kowloon or the Island. I haven't researched the prices of housing in the surrounding villages, and there are some uppity areas, but it is still pretty cheap.
    - Asian women will go after white men. Not true. Maybe in certain settings in Wan Chai with the men kind of seeking it out?
    - Expats use agent website like gohome and we're all idiots because none of the agent websites are up-to-date. Duh. We all know that you can't use it as a tool for finding current on-the-market places, but it's still a good reference tool to see roughly what apartments in certain areas look like and a rough idea of prices.

    I've heard Lamma is getting rather expensive nowadays, but I haven't ever looked into property there myself to know. Still, there are some areas, I think, that would be cheap. A friend has a place with what must be one of the most beautiful rooftop views in all of Hong Kong of the sea and the mountain.

    It's understandable if the OP's wife isn't interested in learning the language. I don't think she would need to either, and many don't. The kids, being under 6, will and can learn it whether or not you want to and have plenty of time to learn it before going to school (really, at that age you need very little time to learn a language). By the way OP, keep in mind that Cantonese is only spoken in a limited geographical area. It would be best to get your kids to learn Mandarin, but that is of course far easier to do here than in the states.


  2. #142

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,908
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonC:
    Fast internet? Lama doesnt have fast internet? Im outta this thread...getting stupid now...
    According to SCMP article a few weeks ago, Outlying island residents need to settle for internet speeds nearly 100 times lower than HK Island and Kowloon residents for the same amount of money.

    The average internet speed in HK Island and Kowloon is 58.11mbps, with some people getting up to 103.7mbps. Outside HK Island and Kowloon the average speed is just 2.55mbps. Lantau and Lamma get as low as 0.75mbps.

    This guy is an IT system admiistrator working from home. So I think this point is very relevant. I am not sure what exactly you find so stupid about this.

    Second-class netizens: outlying island residents get 100x slower internet speeds than rest of Hong Kong | South China Morning Post
    jimbo and jmbf like this.

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,844

    so from the choices ( housing and commuting)

    2100 sq ft entire rural house in sha tau kok for HK$22000, cheap car ownership/cheap car probably additional HK$2500 installment payment and HK$500 parking, HK$1000 petrol

    or

    1400 sq ft 2 floors rural house in lamma for HK$24000, probably additional HK$3000 for monthly allowance for ferry (HK$21/HK$29 single trip adults) and (HK$10.5/HK$15 single trip child)

    or

    other alternatives ?


  4. #144

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    so from the choices ( housing and commuting)

    2100 sq ft entire rural house in sha tau kok for HK$22000, cheap car ownership/cheap car probably additional HK$2500 installment payment and HK$500 parking, HK$1000 petrol

    or

    1400 sq ft 2 floors rural house in lamma for HK$24000, probably additional HK$3000 for monthly allowance for ferry (HK$21/HK$29 single trip adults) and (HK$10.5/HK$15 single trip child)

    or

    other alternatives ?

    Go nature:http://www.palmbeach.com.hk/

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Go nature:palmbeach
    or if that's the case, be a hermit and live in sea ranch! remoteness to the extreme

    home education will be the only option

    http://hongwrong.com/sea-ranch-hong-kong/
    Last edited by imparanoic; 05-11-2015 at 10:25 AM.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    According to SCMP article a few weeks ago, Outlying island residents need to settle for internet speeds nearly 100 times lower than HK Island and Kowloon residents for the same amount of money.

    The average internet speed in HK Island and Kowloon is 58.11mbps, with some people getting up to 103.7mbps. Outside HK Island and Kowloon the average speed is just 2.55mbps. Lantau and Lamma get as low as 0.75mbps.

    This guy is an IT system admiistrator working from home. So I think this point is very relevant. I am not sure what exactly you find so stupid about this.
    I live in a Shatin village house and I have an 8mb line which I get speeds of around 3mb if I'm lucky.

  7. #147

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    or if that's the case, be a hermit and live in sea ranch! remoteness to the extreme
    That would be cool.
    home education will be the only option
    Actually, you have several choices as there is regular service to Cheung Chau where there are 3-4 schools.
    imparanoic likes this.

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,844
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    That would be cool.
    Actually, you have several choices as there is regular service to Cheung Chau where there are 3-4 schools.
    so i presume if there is a finance tsunami within the next few years and prices drop, you will be interested in purchase cheap property fit for a hermit ( or holiday home, timeshare) at this place?

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,869

    Little did the op know that he could move from Florida to Hong Kong and be even more isolated.
    Even worse internet at Sea Ranch!!!


  10. #150

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Little did the op know that he could move from Florida to Hong Kong and be even more isolated.
    Even worse internet at Sea Ranch!!!
    hermit don't need internet!
    Mamba likes this.

Reply
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast