Like Tree187Likes

American family considering Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

A couple of thoughts I've had which haven't been raised yet.

1. I'm not sure that working from home is going to be viable with 4 (and a 5th coming) kids running around. It might work in your typical large American home, but here in HK? I'm not so sure. Sounds travel easily through the thin walls here and there's bound to be a lot of disturbance and distractions throughout the day.

2. You'll want to build up a much better picture of your potential monthly expenses before committing to the move. Even sticking with the local school system, it can get expensive. Uniforms, schools buses, books, all of these x4 (And later x5). How about food? Feeding a large family used to a western diet is not going to be cheap unless you can adapt to a more local diet. How about going back home once in a while? Trips for 6 back to the US aren't going to be cheap either. All these need to be budgeted for and much more besides. I'm guessing that without keeping a tight control on your expenses you could be looking at spending easily over 100K / month.

Last edited by jmbf; 03-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Hi. Very bad idea in my opinion to migrate to HK with a family that large unless you are drawing in the seven figure range in USD. HK is a great world city but the grass is not greener on the other side, especially for those of us who are used to 3,000 sq.ft. homes and wide open space in the US. Add to that maddening crowds, language, culture..........hopefully you get the drift. Imagine yourself living with your family in Manhattan & then exponentially add permutations and combinations to that. Be very careful.......Cheers.

MandM!, shri and TheBrit like this.

Original Post Deleted
    So you do what with all that crap furniture? Give the new for free to the landlord or pay to store it and move it back when the lease is up.

How long have you worked in the property industry? It seems you have no idea of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanverma:
    Hi. Very bad idea in my opinion to migrate to HK with a family that large unless you are drawing in the seven figure range in USD. HK is a great world city but the grass is not greener on the other side, especially for those of us who are used to 3,000 sq.ft. homes and wide open space in the US. Add to that maddening crowds, language, culture..........hopefully you get the drift. Imagine yourself living with your family in Manhattan & then exponentially add permutations and combinations to that. Be very careful.......Cheers.

Good feedback. Unlike DeletedUser who claims this guy can have a decent life on his 20k budget with 5 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    So you do what with all that crap furniture? Give the new for free to the landlord or pay to store it and move it back when the lease is up.

How long have you worked in the property industry? It seems you have no idea of reality.
    You ask the landlord if he wants it and if not does he mind if you get rid of it. If needs be you buy some cheap second hand furniture when you leave. Hardly an unusual situation renting in HK. Compared to the rent it is peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Someone must have hacked shri's account!! Never seen him so energetic.
    Some how I channelled both HC and CM and got into an argument with myself. An exorcism has been conducted in the office and all is well now.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Some how I channelled both HC and CM and got into an argument with myself. An exorcism has been conducted in the office and all is well now.
    Time for a holiday Shri. If you need to borrow any money......
    jmbf, HK_Katherine, shri and 3 others like this.

No way I would do it unless I was pulling in iBank salary with housing. For a work at home software developer with 5 kids, a wife that is reluctant, no intention to learn the language, why would HK even allow you in? Seriously, what do you have to offer HK? I'm being realistic not mean.

Titus, TheBrit and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    No way I would do it unless I was pulling in iBank salary with housing. For a work at home software developer with 5 kids, a wife that is reluctant, no intention to learn the language, why would HK even allow you in? Seriously, what do you have to offer HK? I'm being realistic not mean.
    That is a good point, what visa will you be seeking to live here? Who will be sponsoring you?

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Agreed. No point. They are setting themselves up for misery. And Americans aren't the most open people to change, especially cultural change.
    Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast