Like Tree11Likes

Moving to Hong Kong in 3 weeks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rK.1:
    Thanks MandM! , 20k is kinda out of my budget at the moment ,but I'll keep the thought to check the location you mentioned. I had not factored the mtr cost, but I agree with you. Do you suggest any places within my budget which is not too 'local' and I can get decent western food, n the travel to ICC nnot too burdensome
    New, close to MTR, nice facilities pool etc. Harbour Green. If you want to save there is Hampton Place but 10-15 min walk to MTR and quality is starting to deteriorate. Recommend harbour green. 2 bed at 20k. If you move in immediately you can prob bargain to 18-19k for a 2 bed (don't think they have 1 bed and u need the second room for your clothes/storage anyway) and ask for 1-2 weeks rent free period.

If you want cheaper Lai Chi Kok is good. New buildings but the tunnel to the actual train is very long. Food option is better in Olympic IMO and one station to ICC very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Hampton Place but 10-15 min walk to MTR
    I live there and it's 500meters literally to the MTR. How is this a 15 minutes walk?

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I live there and it's 500meters literally to the MTR. How is this a 15 minutes walk?
    summer weather, important not to break a sweat?
    Char Siu King likes this.

Agree with jmbf on Tai Kok Tsui, 10 mins walk to Olympic station and also plenty of buses/minibuses around. Somewhere like Park Ivy, Park Summit are brand new buildings and withing your budget, or bigger estate like Metro Harbour View also within your budget. This is the area on the 'older' side of Olympic station which is a bit more local and less expats around than the areas MandM! is suggesting, but its just a 10 minute walk FFS and you can save a heap of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    summer weather, important not to break a sweat?
    shuttle bus

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Agree with jmbf on Tai Kok Tsui, 10 mins walk to Olympic station and also plenty of buses/minibuses around. Somewhere like Park Ivy, Park Summit are brand new buildings and withing your budget, or bigger estate like Metro Harbour View also within your budget. This is the area on the 'older' side of Olympic station which is a bit more local and less expats around than the areas MandM! is suggesting, but its just a 10 minute walk FFS and you can save a heap of money.
    Very true that you can save money but then the quality of the apartment goes down (bathroom, kitchen, ventilation problems, bugs, bad AC, etc.). I think it is all relevant. Even with a renovated flat, then there is less security (not really a big issue here) and the hallways/lifts are a bit worn or as I would call them outright disgusting.

shuttle bus
    So the time you leave the door till the time you reach the MTR trains takes how long? You have to wait for the lift, walk on the platform, take another lift, then wait for a bus that runs every 10-20 minutes, then 5 minutes to MTR?

Or the walking to G/F plus walk to the MTR, you need to take the footbridge (walk up and down) to cross the road, but heck that might only be on the one side. It's not 5 minutes, it's farther away.

If I walk is door to door maybe 6, 7 minutes?
    No, I don't take shuttle bus. No point when the distance is - as said - 500meters.
    And why footbridge, while you can cover the distance always staying at ground level?

Reported walking times in hong kong never ceases to puzzle me. They're always so exaggerated...maybe when I'll be 70 it'll take me 15 minutes to do 500 meters. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Very true that you can save money but then the quality of the apartment goes down (bathroom, kitchen, ventilation problems, bugs, bad AC, etc.). I think it is all relevant. Even with a renovated flat, then there is less security (not really a big issue here) and the hallways/lifts are a bit worn or as I would call them outright disgusting.
    That's why I specifically mentioned Park Ivy and Park Summit in Tai Kok Tsui as examples, both of which are both new complexes.
    MandM! likes this.

If I walk is door to door maybe 6, 7 minutes?
    No, I don't take shuttle bus. No point when the distance is - as said - 500meters.
    And why footbridge, while you can cover the distance always staying at ground level?
    I've done both walks and the footbridge walk from Harbour Green is far superior to the walk from Hampton Place IMHO. It's covered so rain or bad weather doesn't affect you. It's a straight shot from the Harbour Green entrance to the MTR so there's no stopping to cross roads or flights of stairs to handle so its easier and faster.
    MandM! likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast