Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Will my HK appliances work in the US?

Closed Thread

Will my HK appliances work in the US?

Hello,

I will be moving from HK to the US in a couple of days, and have an awesome straightening iron that I would like to bring with me. Is there an adapter/converter I will be able to buy to that would be able to convert the HK voltage to US voltage-compatible?

Thanks!

Don't even bother. That isn't effective. Look at the plug and device. If it says 220/240V then no, but if 110-240V then ok. There are transformers but they are bulky and key you get the right wattage or it will fry.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazizang:
    Hello,

I will be moving from HK to the US in a couple of days, and have an awesome straightening iron that I would like to bring with me. Is there an adapter/converter I will be able to buy to that would be able to convert the HK voltage to US voltage-compatible?

Thanks!
    Some modern straightening irons use PTC elements that can work on multiple voltages. You need to check if your model is capable, if not get a new one when you land.

If the voltage is multi-range then it'll work. If not, then don't bother, especially with high power sucking things like hairdryers, microwaves, irons,and I suspect also straightening irons.

On Apliu Street in Sham Shui Po, lots of shops sell transformers that will convert between 110V and 220V. (Some models convert either way, others only convert one direction.) The thing you must do is figure out what wattage your appliance needs, and buy a transformer that supports it. A higher wattage transformer is fine, but more expensive. These transformers are small black cubes, a few inches on a side. I think they cost (very approximately) 0.8 HKD per watt of power.

Your other option is to convert an outlet to 220V, once you're back in the US. I wouldn't suggest that for a straightening iron, since you probably want to use it in the bathroom/bedroom, instead of being tied to one special outlet.