6-year old kid going to the French Lycée, Hung Hom campus, living in Tai Po

Closed Thread

Lightbulb 6-year old kid going to the French Lycée, Hung Hom campus, living in Tai Po

Dear All

We are a family with three kids age: 6, 4 and 2, moving to Hong Kong in march. As I am french, we are strongly considering to send our oldest kid to the French International School in the campus of Hung Hom (68 Gillies Ave S, Hung Hom, Hong Kong). And the two smallest to a (french) international kindergarten.
    At the same time, we have fell in love with a house in Tai Po (The Beverly Hills). According to Google Maps, the distance is 29 km. However, we don't know how long it can take with traffic.
    Anyone living in Tai Po going to the French Lycée that can share some experiences regarding the trip to the school? any school bus? duration of the trip with school bus? with private car? when do kids start and finish school? how is the school?

Thanks in advance and kind regards to you all.

Olivier

Tai Po to Hunghom, straight journey on East line of MTR. This line runs from the Shenzhen border to the Victoria Harbour. There are many commuters in the rush hours, you aren't likely to get a seat if you do not get on the trains on Lo Wu or Sheung Shui, there are many cross border commuters on this line too. Very busy and traffic jam too when driving Tai Po or Shatin to and from Kowloon via the tunnels in the peak hours, notably Lion Rock Tunnel the most jammed.

Try to arrange a school bus service when you can. I used to take school buses to school too when I lived in the New Territories.

Welcome to HK!
    I lived at the Beverly Hills the first three years in Hong Kong. Great place for families. In terms of transport to Hung Hom, check if the bus will pick up your child at home. Traffic around Hung Hom is nuts most of the time-I avoid driving there.
    Also, if you stay in Hong Kong for a longer period of time, consider that the new campus being built in Tseung Kwan O will still be quite a ways from The Beverly Hills.
    My best piece of advice is to settle the transport to and from school before you settle on a place to live as you don't want to spend hours everyday commuting to and from school. As mentioned above, the East Rail line is pretty direct but crowded (also, the nearest station to The Beverly Hills is a 15 minute drive).
    If you do decide to live in Tai Po, do consider a car as it will make your life much easier. The first two year we didn't have a car and our last year there we did and it made a huge difference.
    Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.
    Amy