How much of a lump-sum relocation pkg should I ask for?

Closed Thread

How much of a lump-sum relocation pkg should I ask for?

Single person, very little furniture, 6-8 medium boxes, moving from NYC to HK.

I assume I should budget for my one-way ticket there, shipping costs, and lodging for one week when I first get there to look for an apartment.

How much do you think is a reasonable sum to ask for? Is HK80,000 a fair amount for both me and the company?

Much thanks.

Need to know your job title to see how much leverage you have.

Shipping those boxes will cost a few hundred bucks USD.
    You should ask for a month lodging to give yourself time to find a permanent apartment.

$80k HKD sounds very good unless your rent will be $70k HKD a month

i work within the marine insurance, avoid underinsurance , allocate a minimium of US$150 per standard box for insurance, always list expensive items separately.

get a quote for HK leading edge in relocation - KC Dat asian tigers

Asian Tigers K.C.Dat Hong Kong

It's not uncommon to get an "extra" amount for "settling in" - that's useful in HK to pay the 2.5 months rental upfront you need as deposit for appartment.

I expect my rent to be no more than HK25,000/month.

So, if I'm expecting HK16,000 for a one-way plane ticket, HK16,000 to move all my stuff, and then HK12,500 for the rental agency commission fee -- what other major items should I budget for? I assume just temporary lodging when I get to Hong Kong?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by uluvbs:
    what other major items should I budget for? I assume just temporary lodging when I get to Hong Kong?
    The extra settling in money mentioned by MovingIn07 which assists with such things as furniture, appliances and utility deposits, etc.

I would include a couple of days in a hotel on arrival and then one month in a serviced appt while you sort yourself out for temporary accomodation - so, say, 1500 x 3 for the hotel (assuming a good one) and 25000 for the serviced appt?

Thank you.

Is it correct that most apartments will have a four-week wait? In other words, is there any way I could expect to just stay in a hotel for a few days and then move directly into an apartment for a year?

No - completely depends on the apartment. If it's currently empty, you can get in asap.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    No - completely depends on the apartment. If it's currently empty, you can get in asap.
    Some landlords will not let you move in until the stamp duty is done on the contract. The turn around time is about 10-business days

Others will let you move in right away... and typically this will not increase the cost of your over all rent.

This is something you need to negotiate on